Time to put those humidifiers to work!

So how do you place the Bovedas in the ukes?
Do you buy those holders for each one?

Thx for your advice,

I've been wondering this also. I know some people say they just put the packs in the head stock compartment, but
I'm wondering about inside the uke? I use a Boveda kit for my D-45. The packs that fit the guitar kits are way too big
to fit in my ukes, especially the sopranos.

Last edited:
I've been wondering this also. I know some people say they just put the packs by the head stock compartment, but
I'm wondering about inside the uke? I use a Boveda kit for my D-45. The packs that fit the guitar kits are way too big to fit in my ukes, especially the sopranos.

I think the Boveda are just like the D'Addario Humidipak. They come with two connected together to fit like saddle bags inside a guitar. I separate them and put one inside the sound hole - half in and half out. I loosen the strings when I do this. The other one goes by the headstock. It's the body of the uke that really needs the moisture. Below are some good links.

http://ukuleletonya.com/files/Humidity_and_your_ukulele.pdf
https://www.zzounds.com/item--GDFHE360
https://smile.amazon.com/DAddario-P...kmr0&keywords=d'addario+humidification+system
https://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Hygrometer

I think the Boveda are just like the D'Addario Humidipak. They come with two connected together to fit like saddle bags inside a guitar. I separate them and put one inside the sound hole - half in and half out. I loosen the strings when I do this. The other one goes by the headstock. It's the body of the uke that really needs the moisture. Below are some good links.

https://smile.amazon.com/DAddario-P...kmr0&keywords=d'addario+humidification+system

Yeah, they are the same. Boveda is the manufacturer of both. Like I said I have the guitar kit. But it looks way too big to fit in my ukes, especially my sopranos.
Have you used them in any Sopranos?

Last edited:
I keep most of mine in my basement man-cave here in New England. Humidity is usually around 45-50 down there, maybe 60 in summer, with AC running. Even with forced hot air heat in winter, it's usually in the 40s. I only get nervous if it goes below 40, but keep a wet sponge in a plastic film canister in the cases with my good solid ukes anyway.

One time, I had a wet sponge in a baggie, placed below the uke's heel, in the case. The water vapors turned the finish above that spot milky, so be careful of that; it was probably too close to the wood.

In winter, when you get static electricity when touching metal objects, I know it's dry, and become more wary. Speaking of low humidity, I heard on TV that out in CA, where those fires are, the humidity is in the single digits. Wow, very desert-like. No wonder the fires spread so fast.

I actually wrote Boveda earlier to see if they might have a smaller Uke sized kit in the works for the future.
They replied saying that they just didn't see enough interest for smaller instrument kits, and they had no plans to offer such a product.

His recommendation was to take a pouch (in the protective sleeve) and slide it under the strings, and over the sound hole.
Like the strings are holding it where it's covering the sound hole.

I might try that approach. In two of my cases the ukes fit very tight so I'm not sure how comfortable I'll be with it.

So how do you place the Bovedas in the ukes?
Do you buy those holders for each one?

Thx for your advice,

Like Jerry, I split the pouch into two pockets, but I use a Velcro cable tie to secure the end to the strings. I have also used the shoelaces that came with the guitar straps that are on my tenors by punching a hole in the pouch end that I cut and just tuck it in on the side of the uke case. Which works fine for the more snug cases. A long piece of string would work just as well. I don't like the idea of the humidpack lying on the wood without a holder.

So far, just the one pack seems to maintain the humidity in the whole case. At least the hygrometer I place at the neck/shoulder reads that it's in the low to mid-40%.

Last edited:
Like Jerry, I split the pouch into two pockets, but I use a Velcro cable tie to secure the end to the strings. I have also used the shoelaces that came with the guitar straps that are on my tenors by punching a hole in the pouch end that I cut and just tuck it in on the side of the uke case. Which works fine for the more snug cases. A long piece of string would work just as well. I don't like the idea of the humidpack lying on the wood without a holder.

So far, just the one pack seems to maintain the humidity in the whole case. At least the hygrometer I place at the neck/shoulder reads that it's in the low to mid-40%.

Yeah, I wouldn't put just the raw pack on the wood without it being in the protective sleeve (just in case).
So you attach yours to the top of the strings, or do you tuck the pouch into the sound hole? What size ukes are you using it with?
In two of my cases, the fit is so tight that there is no way I could tuck one on the side. It would either have to go in the sound hole (if it would fit in the sopranos), on top of the strings above the sound hole, or
under the strings above the sound hole.

Yeah, I wouldn't put just the raw pack on the wood without it being in the protective sleeve (just in case).
So you attach yours to the top of the strings, or do you tuck the pouch into the sound hole? What size ukes are you using it with?
In two of my cases, the fit is so tight that there is no way I could tuck one on the side. It would either have to go in the sound hole (if it would fit in the sopranos), on top of the strings above the sound hole, or
under the strings above the sound hole.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I slide the Humidpack into the sound hole so that the open end of the pouch is raised towards the opening. I tuck the shoelace/string in between the uke & case. Or, I loosely wrap the velcro around the strings (fluorocarbon). That way, the pack doesn't drop down into the body and I have a difficult time getting it out.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I slide the Humidpack into the sound hole so that the open end of the pouch is raised towards the opening. I tuck the shoelace/string in between the uke & case. Or, I loosely wrap the velcro around the strings (fluorocarbon). That way, the pack doesn't drop down into the body and I have a difficult time getting it out.

Okay, thanks for the info.

I'm wondering if putting a few of the smaller size 49% packs into one of their protective sleeves would do the trick in the sound hole of a soprano?
I know they wouldn't last as long, but at least it might fit.

A new, high-tech breakthrough in uke humidification systems. ;)

Seriously, I just do this, or a sponge in a holey soapbar case, or old film canister with holes. Bought all these ukes, all these cases, now they need water, and I ain't buying fancy humidifiers for each. You can lead a uke to water, and you CAN make it drink!

Wicked Humid.jpg

A new, high-tech breakthrough in uke humidification systems. ;)

Seriously, I just do this, or a sponge in a holey soapbar case, or old film canister with holes. Bought all these ukes, all these cases, now they need water, and I ain't buying fancy humidifiers for each. You can lead a uke to water, and you CAN make it drink!

View attachment 113676

John, do you punch holes in that zip lock?
Do you stuff inside a soprano sound hole?

When I got my new Moon Bird uke from HMS, they included a humidifier that I'd not seen before. Humistat brand. Not real big, but easy to see how much water is in it. Kind of easy to fill.....as soon as you take the end cap off, all the water starts to leak out the other end. You have to fill fast & put the cap on fast. You can adjust the openings on the bottom cap to adjust the humidity level. Not a sound hole unit, but fits in the top of the case under the neck easy.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/accessories/humistat-model-1-instrument-humidifier.html

John, do you punch holes in that zip lock?
Do you stuff inside a soprano sound hole?

No, I just fold the top of the bag open, so it will stay open, and place it in the case/bag, under the neck, being careful to not let it flop around, so the sponge never touches the wood.

Last edited:
When I got my new Moon Bird uke from HMS, they included a humidifier that I'd not seen before. Humistat brand. Not real big, but easy to see how much water is in it. Kind of easy to fill.....as soon as you take the end cap off, all the water starts to leak out the other end. You have to fill fast & put the cap on fast. You can adjust the openings on the bottom cap to adjust the humidity level. Not a sound hole unit, but fits in the top of the case under the neck easy.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/accessories/humistat-model-1-instrument-humidifier.html

Interesting. I might get this to try out. They make a larger one for guitar also.

The trick to filling the Humistat is to fill it all the way to the brim, because the water will immediately begin leaking out the bottom. As soon as you push the cap in, it creates a vacuum seal. No more leaking will happen. Dry off the outside of the humistat once you're done. It was a little frustrating at first, until I got the fast fill & pop the cap on timing down. Fill it over a sink to avoid a mess. Once it's filled, it's a handy little humidifier. Easy to see how much water is in there & adjustable. I think mine is set on 2 holes open & it lasts 1.5 - 2 weeks before it needs a fill up.

I've got a cheap solution for the ukes that don't have hardshell cases. I put them in Jumbo Ziploc bags. Inside of the bag, taped to the inside well up near the top, I put a ziploc sandwich bag with plenty of holes punched in the sides. Inside of that is 1/2 a brand new kitchen sponge wetted with distilled water and wrung out. Taping it this way keeps it away from the ukes but since it's only taped on one side, I can get the sponge out without removing the taped.bag.

The main ziploc bags are 32" tall and 24" wide so they'll fit anything from a sopranino to a baritone. They have holes on top, above the closure strip so they can be easily hung on the wall.

It's easy enough access and handy, if inelegant... but it's also cheap and effective... inside the bags it's a comfy 51% RH.

7068-145141324112018 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Yes, only use distilled water for humidifiers. Otherwise, the evaporation will leave behind a hard lime (calcium carbonate) crust that will ruin an oasis as well as s sponge based humidifier. I also had some mold growth on the outside of one of my oasis, but the origin could be spores form any source that thrive in a moist environment. I just brushed it off with an old toothbrush once in a while, and after I dumped the crystals and rinsed and dried the humidifier, so far the mold has not come back.

Interesting that it's adjustable. I guess you'd have to use that with a hygrometer.
Yeah, I’m totally guessing at this point. The instructions say to start at one to two holes open. I use a sound hole humidifier as well, so it’s not the only one in the case. I’ll have to toss my hygrometer in the case and see.

I know this is an older post, but thought I'd give a report here in case there are other multi-instrument folks worrying about the frigid dry Midwest weather (minus 9 right now in St. Paul!) but tired of the futziness of the humidifiers:

I'm happy to say I've successfully used the D'Addario Humidipaks that Jerry recommended earlier in this post in each of my ukes this winter. These are the "Two-way" (meaning the beads will absorb moisture if RH gets too high), so no RH monitoring or Humidifier settings required.
Guitar Center sells bulk packs of 12 (as does Amazon), and I was able to get additional 15% off with a coupon code.

I experimented a little in the beginning, and found that these work fine without the expensive kit/holsters sold for this product.
I simply fold the pack on itself and stick it in the sound hole between the C and the E strings, being careful that only the paper edge end of the pack (ie the part that does not give off moisture) comes into contact with finished surfaces around the sound hole. Then I fold the paper end over the strings to keep it in place.
On concert and tenors the pak can sit straight through the sound hole, again, resting on the strings.
On a soprano the pak has to be angled towards the bottom of the uke. There is a goretex like material under the paper exterior that is rather smushable and has held up fine as I take the paks in and out for playing.
On my bari and guitars, I used two packs in the body of the instrument. They did fall in once or twice, but are easy to shake to a place where I can grab them through the sound hole.

This may all sound a bit complicated, but I can't begin to say how much easier it is compared to the refillable humidifers which have to be refilled once a week or more when the air is this dry.
My only regret is that this is not a "green" product. The paks eventually lose enough moisture that they must be replaced (once this winter for me). So neither is it a cheap option (about $80 this winter for 12 instruments), but so, so worth it to keep my ukes safe and sound without constantly messing with and checking on them.

I have a goal to pare down the herd and move towards a "catch and release" kind of ownership (does a gal really need ukes that aren't played weekly?), but until I can bear to part with some of them, I think this is the new best thing for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom