Vintage Martin - String question and a few more things

efiscella

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have basically been a Hawaiian Ukulele fan since I started playing about 7 years ago. I tried so many different ukes and settled on mostly KoAloha and Kamaka-- but mostly KoAloha. I love the sound and ease of play.

Last week at an ukulele meetup, I had a chance to try a vintage Martin T1 Tenor, low G- and it sounded fabulous. Different from the Hawaiian Ukes. So, I have been looking for one and luckily, found a beautiful 1940's Vintage Martin Tenor style 1. So, I got it but it is re-entrant and does not have the same sound I heard last week. The strings seem to be Aquila, but I am not sure. They are hard, thick, on the white color side, with pretty high tension.

So, I am wondering--- what is your advice on replacing the strings. As a Vintage Martin, should I just leave it alone, or can I make it better? Are some strings just to much in terms of tension for an instrument of this age.

The ukulele has no cracks and is in very good condition except for some checking.
IMG_1492.jpg

Any help and thoughts would be appreciated, along with any suggestions for a new Vintage Martin Owner

Strings make a lot of difference to the sound and no 2 vintage ukes are the same..
Do try different strings, I would recommend Martin Strings or Worth Brown. That said, learn to love your uke for what it is, if you liked another uke get that one instead. In general finding a uke one loves is the same as falling in love.. it is the person not the race, religion or demographics..

I just use Martin strings and Worth Browns..or Aquila Sugars and then play, play, play!
Worth Browns are probably my favorite, but I don't have time or inclination to chase down and around with a bazillion string brand changes

I also contemplated getting an old Martin and I would string them up with fluorocarbon as I like them on my KoAloha. On my mahogany low G tenor I like the Aquilas.

Top Bottom