Season 352 - Honesty & Lies

I thought Tootler Geoff might be along with this, or one of its many variants, a common tale of being deceived by a lady of the night. But this one, written by a Bob Bickerton from New Zealand, and set a gold mining town, has a couple of twists...

https://youtu.be/ATWLEneUT0s

Not come across that particular one though I may well have done one about being deceived by a prostitute. Maybe even Maggie May (Not the Rod Stewart version, I might add). I have one based on a similar theme, though I'm not sure I'll get it done this week.

Been a bit off colour this week. I'm on antibiotics just now and not feeling my best.

I've been thinking about this one certainly since Thursday so I decided to give it a go.
This song was "discovered" in a broadside in Preston Library by someone from a 1960s folk group called "The Halliard" and a tune put to it by Dave Moran, one of their members. The song was written by Harry Clifton, a popular Music Hall artist and songwriter of the mid 19th century. There is an original tune but it was popularised in the 1960s with Dave Moran's tune and it's a good tune, so it's the one most people sing it to.
A song about a deceitful young lady who wasn't exactly honest with one of her suitors. It also gives some insight into the tastes of a growing middle class in the 19th century including giving a list of popular dances of the time, some of which are still around today - at least their music is and is used in folk dancing.

Season 352 has ended. Thank you all very much. I will select the winners after I decide what the prizes will be.

Hi, everyone! I used the random number generator on Random.org and the list of 34 participants in the Season 352 to choose 3 winners. The prizes will be a choice among 5 shirts and 1 book. I will send the winners a PM with the options. But I do want to point out, with the Christmas season upon us, this shirt I just found on RedBubble that was designed by former Seasonista Markwo:

Uke On, Cornelius

This time around, all the winners are in the U.K.! (This is less of a statistical anomaly than the Season where the winners were Linda, Lynda, and Lynette.) The winners of Season 352 are:

1. YorkSteve

2. OneManAndHisUke

3. Lumpy Wafflesquirt

Thanks again to everyone who took part. I was surprised and pleased and honored by the number of high-quality original songs that people wrote for the Season. But I also very much enjoyed all of the cover tunes. And that's no lie.

Linda, Lynda, and Lynette

Wow - looks more like one of those word puzzles where you progress from one word to another in steps by changing a letter each time than a past seasons winners list!:D

Thanks for hosting, Jim - great music from everyone, as usual. Congrats to the winners! :)

My prize t-shirt arrived today - Thanks Jim! I will try to remember to wear it for a future Season.

Top Bottom