Season 352 - Honesty & Lies

Well since I did a song about a cheating man, I figured my third song should be about a cheating woman. Here's one by the great Dale Watson. This wasn't the easiest song to put all together.

Jim, in your opening post you cautioned us not to play a certain song, and I thought that was a good title for a song itself :)

Season 352. Submission 1. "After the Gold Rush" Written and recorded by Neil Young (1970)

All those in California who are suffering the effects of the fires currently raging are in my thoughts and prayers. Neil Young, outspoken advocate for the protection of Nature and care of the environment, has lost his home.

Thank you for hosting, Jim, and your thought-provoking theme. "Lies" are mentioned in the second verse of this song.

True

A song that, if it weren't for this Season, a song I honestly never imagined I'd ever play; but surprisingly rewarding to learn.

Ahoy
I found time to do a little Tom Waits. Here is Heartattck & Vine , which is one of my favourite Waits tunes.

Don't Play That Song (You Lied)

Written by Ahmet Ertegun and Betty Nelson, wife of Ben. E. King, & who was the first to release this as a record as single in April 1962. It was also the title track of the album he released in August 1962 (which contained another 4 hit singles, including 'Stand By Me' - which has a virtually identical bassline & scratchy snare effect), but his version (certainly the version released as a single), only uses 3 of the 4 verses written. Here I've used the version released by Dee Dee Sharp in November 1962.

Dee Dee Sharp was married to Kenny Gamble.

There's also an 'answer song' to this: "Stop Playing That Song (That's What You Said)" written by Robert Spencer and first released by Ruth McFadden in July 1962.

I could have, of course, made all this up.

A bit out-of-sync at the end here ... it took ages to upload! A song by Dave Barnes, which I discovered when I was looking up "Little Lies" by Fleetwood Mac ... one I don't think anyone's covered yet.

"I Believed" Original Song by Dennis Danner (c) 2018 SOTU 352

"Buuuhhhh-lieve Me," the sentiments I've expressed in this song in the 1st person point of view, are imagined and not reflective of where my personal sentiments lie, oops, I mean what my personal sentiments are!

With regard to the current POTUS, the biggest question I cannot understand is how so many people support him! I have several friends and acquaintances that I know voted for him, and I cannot fathom how they were unable to see the man for his true characteristics and traits.

I wrote this in the 1st person POV, to try to capture what I think anyone that supported him might feel when they come to the conclusion that they were duped, conned, and LIED to.

====Chordpro Formatted Songchart==========

{title: I BELIEVED - Dennis Danner (2018)}
{time:3:30}

Intro:
| [G] //// | [Em] //// | [C] //// | [D] //// |

Verse 1:
The | [G] biggest lie you | [C] ever told was the | [C] one I first be - | [D]lieved, . . .
That | [G] you would always | [Em] speak the truth, and | [C] never once de - | [D]ceive . . . | [D] . . . . |
| [G] All I simply | [C] had to do was | [C] listen and be - | [D] lieve, . . . |
| [D] . And, I be - | [Am] lieved! . . . | [Am] . . Yes, I be - | [G]lieved! . . . |
| [G] . And, I be - | [Am] lieved! . . . | [Am] . . Yes, I be - | [G]lieved! . . . | [G] . . .

Verse 2:
You | [G] told me that the | [C] game was rigged, but | [C] others were to | [D] blame, . .
You | [G] told me if you | [Em] took the reins, we'd | [C] all praise your | [D] name! . . . | [D] . . . . |
You | [G] told me to: "Be - | [C] lieve in You!" and | [C] we would all be | [D] safe. . . .
| [D] . And, I be - | [Am] lieved! . . . | [Am] . . Yes, I be - | [G]lieved! . . .
| [G] . And, I be - | [Am] lieved! . . . | [Am] . . Yes, I be - | [G]lieved! . . . | [G] . . .

Verse 3:
You | [G] said that those who | [C] led before were | [C] not as smart as | [D] you . .
You | [G] said they led with | [Em] such disgrace, our | [C] country was nearly | [D] through . . . | [D] . . . . |
| [G] Only you could | [C] make us great, and | [C] raise our pride a - | [D] new! . . . |
| [D] . . But, you | [Am] lied! . . . | [Am] . . You always | [G] lie! . . . |
| [G] . . Yes, you | [D] lied! . . . | [D] . You always | [G] lie! . . . | [G] . . .

Verse 4:
You | [G] said that you would | [C] drain the Swamp and | [C] build a Great | [D] Wall . . . |
| [G] You would only | [Em] hire the best, once a - | [C] gain we would stand | [D] tall . . . | [D] . . . . |
There | [G] never was col - | [C]lusion, it was a | [C] Witch Hunt that's | [D] all . . . |
| [D] . . But, you | [Am] lied! . . . | [Am] . . You always | [G] lie! . . . |
| [G] . . Yes, you | [D] lied! . . . | [D] . You always | [G] lie! . . . | [G] . . . . |

Outro:
| [G] How could I be - | [D] lie - ee - ee - eve | [D] . each and every | [G] lie? . . . |
| [G] How was I so | [D] bli - i - i - nd | [D] . to so many | [G] lies? . . . |
| [G] . . . . | [D] . . . . | [D] . . so many | [G] lies! . . . |
| [G] . . . . | [D] . . . . | [D] . . so many | [G] lies! . . . | [G] ~

+end+
/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Actually managed to post one this week. Something I have been trying to learn, but still haven't got the words :-( had to read them :-(

I covered this song for a Season last year, but I got the melody all wrong.

Sorry if this is already here- I could not find it and I am having some trouble posting here. Anyway, here it is again- a quick bash at an Old Crow song...no, not that one.

And for this evening...a song that sounds like it could have been written for someone I know...can’t quite place it.

“Liar liar pants on fire” is a playground taunt to anyone you think has told a fib. Eg, “My dad invented flying shoes!” “Liar, liar, pants on fire, hang your pants on a telephone wire etc....” . Pants, on this side of the pond, usually refers to underpants, not trousers.

I know some of you like to see the lyrics so....

Looking back I shoulda seen the signs
She was 10 parts evil, no parts mine.
My self esteem became a hopeless case
When I caught her kissing whatshisface.

Cos she’s a liar liar pants on fire.

She led me on with her sweet love letters
I’m a fool I shoulda known better.
Thought we were going to be an item.
But so did the others ad infinitum.

Cos she said I was her hearts desire
But she’s a liar liar pants on fire.
Her roving eye is a frequent flyer
And she’s a liar liar pants on fire
Pants on fire.

I went back home, and cried a lot
I thought she was a keeper, she was not.
I lost the plot, I turned to drink
But I’ve had plenty of time to think.

Cos she’s a liar liar pants on fire.

It took a while but I’m on track
I flew her nest and I won’t be back.
I hold no grudge, I’d never harm her
But she’ll get what’s coming, they call it karma.

She said I was her hearts desire
But shes a liar liar pants on fire.
Given the chance she’ll drag you in the mire
Cos she’s a liar liar pants on fire
Pants on fire.

I’m gonna hide behind trees, so’s to avoid her
And hope I see her fall, for schadenfreude....

Cos she said I was her hearts desire etc....

A Robert Burns song that was sung at the opening of the Scottish parliament by Midge Ure
Check out the march version by Paolo Nutini or the more traditional version by Dick Gaughan.

[FONT=&quot]English Translation
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his head, and all that?
The coward slave, we pass him by -
We dare be poor for all that!
For all that, and all that,
Our toils obscure, and all that,
The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The man's the gold for all that.

What though on homely fare we dine,
Wear rough grey tweed, and all that?
Give fools their silks, and knaves their wine -
A man is a man for all that.
Their tinsel show, and all that,
The honest man, though ever so poor,
Is king of men for all that.

You see that fellow called 'a lord',
Who struts, and stares, and all that?
Though hundreds worship at his word,
He is but a dolt for all that.
His ribboned, star, and all that,
The man of independent mind,
He looks and laughs at all that.

A prince can make a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, and all that!
But an honest man is above his might -
Good faith, he must not fault that
Their dignities, and all that,
The pith of sense and pride of worth
Are higher rank than all that.

Then let us pray that come it may
(As come it will for a' that)
That Sense and Worth over all the earth
Shall take the prize and all that!
It is coming yet for all that,
That man to man the world over
Shall brothers be for all that.

[/FONT]

a 3rd and final original from me for the season, Jim.
continuing my exploration into the early chapters of Genesis,
this song, in the face of it's desolation,
offers some hope for redemption in the prophesies of the Messiah
spoken of in the Old Testament and fulfilled by the New.
featuring my brother Kevin on electric tenor ukulele.

CAIN pt 2

I've been marking down these endless miles
Since they let me out
Straight ahead in front of me
I feel the road stretch out
Don't look left, don't look right
Feel the day grow dim
Behind these eyes that guide me
The darkness deep within

Count my steps leave evil in the dust
Where it came from
Try to find a tree for shelter