Season 352 - Honesty & Lies

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SEASON 352 — Honesty & Lies

Another election season has just ended in the U.S. In a totally 100 percent unrelated matter, the Season 352 theme is songs about honesty, lies, and truth. I think I had passed on this theme last winter in favor of the kisses theme. Somehow it came to mind again recently. I can’t imagine why.

Rules:

• The video must be a new video recorded for this Season.
• The video must say that it is for the 352nd Season of the Ukulele.
• Multitracking is okay, overdubs are okay. But I'm most interested in seeing and hearing you perform a song on the ukulele.
• Original songs are always welcome.
• Collaborations are always welcome.
• Collaborations on original songs? Hell, yeah!
• Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time. (And remember, Season 351 still has a day to go.)
• The Season lasts for 8 days, and ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, November 18.
NO MORE THAN THREE VIDEOS! I stopped hosting for 10 months because I got into a mental block about commenting on videos, and I won’t know until I try whether I’m over it now. If the number of videos pushes 100, the odds of me commenting on them all will go way down.
DO NOT PLAY “LYIN’ EYES” BY THE EAGLES! In the past, you would get a YouTube copyright infringement strike against your channel for doing an Eagles cover. Unless you know for a fact that this has changed, do not risk it. Three strikes and YouTube deletes your entire channel, and all the videos you ever posted on it.
• Winners will be chosen randomly. I usually give t-shirts as prizes.

PLAYLIST

Great theme! And I dunno about truth & lies have nothing to do with politics....

In any case, your comment about YouTube strikes worried me. I get copyright infringement notifications all the time when I use background music in my travel videos. Do I have any strikes?!? So I looked up how to check - posting it for the greater good:

Go to your Video Manager, then click on “Channel” from the options listed in the Creator Studio. (It should be on the left)
It will automatically take you to Status and Features unless you select a specific group. It will list your channel name next to your avatar, then your copyright status will be just below. From there you can see if you have any strikes.

Despite hundreds of copyright "notices", I got no strikes. Maybe because I don't monetize.

In any case, your comment about YouTube strikes worried me. I get copyright infringement notifications all the time when I use background music in my travel videos. Do I have any strikes?!? So I looked up how to check - posting it for the greater good:

Go to your Video Manager, then click on “Channel” from the options listed in the Creator Studio. (It should be on the left)
It will automatically take you to Status and Features unless you select a specific group. It will list your channel name next to your avatar, then your copyright status will be just below. From there you can see if you have any strikes.

Despite hundreds of copyright "notices", I got no strikes. Maybe because I don't monetize.

Very few people prohibit folks from covering songs as fans, as long as you're not trying to sell a cover song without paying royalties. If a YouTube video gets stated as "contains copyrighted material", that just means that the fraction of a penny in advertizing when someone watches your video will go to the copyright holder. At times, Sony has prohibited covers of songs by their highest selling acts. The Eagles, Supertramp, and the estate of Jimi Hendrix are among the ones that don't let you post covers.

I didn't want to hold up posting the theme post while I got this done. This is a Procol Harum song. I was choosing between two themes for this week, and somehow this song worked for both of them. But I didn't realize how grumpy the lyrics were until I turned on the camera and started singing it.

Commenting on videos is a major part of hosting, it's easy for the first few, but does get harder the more entries you get. ;)

You'll be fine. :)

Have an enjoyable week. :cool:

thank you for hosting this week, Jim.
first thing I thought of was Genesis and Adam & Eve's expulsion from the Garden.
So I went there and wrote and played this.
an original(sin) song for the season.

SERPENT

There was a place I used to live, way back in time
Canopy of trees, fresh fruit on the vine
I blamed myself, I blamed the serpent, but I blamed her for everything
But it don't matter now, it don't mean a thing

Let the dying light tuck you in
Your hiding place deep within

We made a home; no doors nor curtain
We were promised forever, but forever's never certain
Tried our best to get back in; failed
After the truth, the gnashing teeth and the wails

We were innocent once
Dirt under our fingers, fig leaves to remind us
Working the soil in pain my whole life long
Consigned to the dust, that I was built from

To know good from evil, to live forever
I gave up my soul, to a tie and a tether
Revolving sword of fire east of the tree
Angel-cherubs guarding, those who'll come after me

I was listening to The Killers first album on the way into work yesterday and forgot how good it was. The first 5/6 tracks are just pure gold, and this is the opener. I was actually thinking to myself that I really hope the new theme gives me cause to play this one, and lo I can just about squeeze it in.

It's part of a trilogy, one song of which I've already played here in "Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf". Hope i can get Midnight Show in some time as well.

Here's a Jim Lauderdale song, that's also the title of one of his CD's. Never thought I'd be trying this song, but try it I did, in one take no less. It's sort of an improv type song on the delivery, and he did it in a high key, so I kinda did it my own way, warts and all, but it's honest

A Chuck Berry song I first heard from George Thorogood. Chuck was a silver-tongued devil, as anyone who's tried this one (including me) can attest. Oddly, it's relevant for Veterans/Armistice Day.

NO MORE THAN THREE VIDEOS! I stopped hosting for 10 months because I got into a mental block about commenting on videos, and I won’t know until I try whether I’m over it now. If the number of videos pushes 100, the odds of me commenting on them all will go way down.
my gift to you - and quite possibly to everyone else on the seasons too :uhoh: - i'm only gonna do one vid this week

no, really

no

REALLY

:eek:

and that's the truth

speaking of which..............

i stole

and i lied

why?

because you asked me to

In honour of our host my third song is my first attempt at some original Wizard Rock.

Lyrics:

I'm just about to start year 5
And I'm feeling I'm lucky to be alive
The Ministry thinks I've lost control
Dementors tried to take my cousins soul

VERITASERUM
VERITASERUM

I must not lie I must not lie I must not lie

Teacher takes umbrage with the fact I want to learn
She's got a pen oh man the ink really burns
Every time i talk back, She sends me to detention
And she's got Snape to go and make some