What does it mean when a ukulele "opens up"?

I don't understand how a uke being "too loud" is a problem. Just play it more softly. There is no rule that says you always have to play any instrument at its maximum volume. I often practice quietly, so as not to disturb my husband in the next room. Or outside on the patio late at night, when neighbors are sleeping. It is easy to do, and no socks are required, just a light touch. I'd much rather have an instrument that's capable of playing out when the need arises, even though it doesn't always need the extra volume, than to have one that is limited right from the get-go. I also like having a full expressive dynamic range for the music I play. What am I missing here?

bratsche

I don't understand how a uke being "too loud" is a problem. Just play it more softly. There is no rule that says you always have to play any instrument at its maximum volume. I often practice quietly, so as not to disturb my husband in the next room. Or outside on the patio late at night, when neighbors are sleeping. It is easy to do, and no socks are required, just a light touch. I'd much rather have an instrument that's capable of playing out when the need arises, even though it doesn't always need the extra volume, than to have one that is limited right from the get-go. I also like having a full expressive dynamic range for the music I play. What am I missing here?

bratsche

I play as softly as possible but it can still be painful after a few minutes. I believe it's the vibrations pounding on my eardrum. So, even if it doesn't sound too loud, I can feel it loud. If I take my hearing aids out and turn the volume up on my computer so I can hear it, it doesn't sound too loud, but, boy, can my ears feel it!

I need to talk to my audiologist about this and see what he says.

I play as softly as possible but it can still be painful after a few minutes. I believe it's the vibrations pounding on my eardrum. So, even if it doesn't sound too loud, I can feel it loud. If I take my hearing aids out and turn the volume up on my computer so I can hear it, it doesn't sound too loud, but, boy, can my ears feel it!

I need to talk to my audiologist about this and see what he says.

Here is one perspective on treatment options for hyperacusis. Not sure if you have that or not, but if you do. Perhaps retraining with uke could help?

https://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/hyperacusis/treatment.html

Heeyukyukyuk

Im a bit late to this topic, but the issue is nothing new.

I tend to be a skeptic towards guitars and ukes "opening up" - well at least on modern ukes and guitars anyway.

I think an ukulele won't change how it sounds simply due to "ageing", nor do I believe that the tiny vibrations of being played changes the wood structure and makes it "open up"

I attribute these perceived changes to:
-placebo effect. The myth of instruments opening up is so ingrained in guitar culture that we believe its there simply because we believe it does

-getting more familiar and adjusted to the nuances of the instrument. You have improved at playing this instrument, not the wood

-strings change tone with age and condition

-time may alter the setup of the instrument, such as neck relief, or any personal setup that the owner has done.

In theory, some vintage instruments have been said to "open up" due to the breakdown and thinning of nitrocellulose finish and older kinds of glue used in their instruments. If this was true at all, the same logic wont apply to modern instruments that use more modern adhesives and more resilient finishes like polyurethane.

I think any physics presented to support the old tale of guitars and ukes opening up in a way that would validly confirm the phenomena have been dubious and anecdotal at best.

Tonewood doesn't become better at being a tonewood after it is bought and played. It probably sounds its best brand new, and any assumed improvement in its future is 100% subjective.

Last edited:
Interesting perspective, Kissing, and you may be right on that. Oh well, at least I guess there's no harm in thinking that some day up the road, a particular uke may "open up"; it's kind of fun to anticipate it, even if it's more in our subjective perception than in the actual physical properties of the wood.

I think that some people like to be ritualistic with their music and they channel their instruments into that ritualism. I like to think that I'm more pragmatic and above it, but I have a corner in the basement where I keep my ukuleles and where I retire to for long periods of time in some sort of musical trance. My wife calls it the shrine. I don't know why she would call it that, it is just the place I got to play my ukulele.;) But anyway, I often wonder what is ritualism and what is real.

Last edited:
I think that some people like to be ritualistic with their music and they channel their instruments into that ritualism. I like to think that I'm more pragmatic and above it, but I have a corner in the basement where I keep my ukuleles and where I retire to for long periods of time in some sort of musical trance. My wife calls it the shrine. I don't know why she would call it that, it is just the place I got to play my ukulele.;) But anyway, I often wonder what is ritualism and what is real.

Hahahaha, Rllink !! I like the "shrine" concept! My brother came over the other night, and referred to my place as a "uke-seum" !! I can't say he's too far off !!

Because you're worshiping at the uke altar, instead of hers ;)

Her's has a sewing machine in it and occupies an entire room.

Hahahaha, Rllink !! I like the "shrine" concept! My brother came over the other night, and referred to my place as a "uke-seum" !! I can't say he's too far off !!
Yes, I regularly visit the shrine. I mix up a magical and mystical concoction that contains secret ingredients that I will share only with my friends here on UU. Three fingers of rum, some ice, a dash of Coca Cola, and a lime. Then I go into the corner and drink the potion, and as I do so, I begin to open up and my ukulele starts sounding better and better.

Last edited:
Hahahahaha! Kind of a variation on that old saying, "The more you drink, the better we sound"!
There is a bar downtown that does a lot of live music and it has a night once a month for the local not so talented to get up on stage. Instead of a band they choose three local musicians. Each musician gets a thirty to forty minute set. The trick is to get the second set. The audience has had enough to drink to "appreciate" the music, but not so much that they are getting mean.

Last edited:

bratsche

I think by loud they might mean how brash the tone is,

Top Bottom