United Kingdom and European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orton Pearson

Reaction score
Next time Theresa May sees Michel Barnier she should take a European Union flag on a pole. When Barnier sees this he will take it as a good sign. "So, Theresa are you going to sign the deal?". At that point she should hold the pole at the flag end and thrust the other end up his arse.

Next time Theresa May sees Michel Barnier she should take a European Union flag on a pole. When Barnier sees this he will take it as a good sign. "So, Theresa are you going to sign the deal?". At that point she should hold the pole at the flag end and thrust the other end up his arse.

I feel your frustration and empathise. My own family is split about the EU and the issue is very devisive as feelings run so strong. Much as I don’t feel the EU have treated the U.K. fairly for decades and think them bent on taking us to the cleaners on exit there is little that Mrs M can do beyond the present. That we will actually leave is in doubt anyway, those with money and influence may yet circumnavigate democracy and have us stay regardless. That’s the trouble with most politicians and near all professional lobbyists, in their eyes the desires and the wishes of the population aren’t really that important. Still, could be worse - don’t fancy living in Russia, China or Turkey much - so best to try to keep chilled about it all and make the best of whatever happens. As our American Cousins say ‘if you’re given Lemons then make Lemonade’, following that line of thought is perhaps our best attitude and response to what ever happens with the EU.

Last edited:

This is a dangerous topic for a forum that does not allow political or divisive discussion.
You have already made your opinions pretty clear with your "location" and your signature.
Many, like me, will disagree with you, but this isn't the place for that debate.

The problem was that 'we, the people', signed up for a 'Common Market', but successive 'Politicians' have got us deeper & deeper into a 'Union' that we didn't, & don't want! :mad:

The problem was that 'me, the person', signed up for a 'Common Market', but successive 'Politicians' have got me deeper & deeper into a 'Union' that I didn't, & don't want! :mad:

There you go, Keith, fixed that for you! The Brexit issue is unfortunately deeply toxic and has really marred the landscape of debate in our fair land but regardless of where anyone stands on it we shouldn't put words in other people's mouths. The referendum result was very close, so a significant minority of people do want the union, almost as many as the people who don't. If those two blocks are to come together again at some point (and for the UK to thrive they do need to) we need a lot more understanding on both sides of the debate.

The United Kingdom is a country of enterprise. The only other EU country of enterprise is Germany. There is mutual respect between the two. When the UK has left the EU the next biggest economies after Germany will be France, Spain and Italy. France has made a fiscal deficit for the last 45 consecutive years, Spain has half the GDP of the UK and almost 4 times the unemployment, Italy is gradually declining financially. Greece is bankrupt and will be a long term drag on EU (German) financial resources. There are a few EU countries that are not basket cases but their economies are so small as to be not significant.

Germany and the UK are providing the funds to keep the basket cases in business. France is absolutely taking the piss. If the European Union is strong then it does not need the UK. If it is weak then it is the UK government's duty to act in the best interests of its citizens by getting us totally out. The Remainers make one point that I agree with, that nobody knows the consequences of getting out. But everyone knows the consequences of staying in. Germany and the UK would be perpetually funding an organisation of basket cases.

Getting out with no deal bruises the UK for a while because trade deals worldwide cannot be done in 5 minutes. But it is a very big worldwide market. When we are up and running with several big deals we can listen to the EU begging for a deal in order that it can survive. Then we can say "Take our first and final offer or 'go away' for good".

Without the UK the EU will slowly collapse, it is inevitable. The large number of basket cases will at some stage not be able to totally depend upon generous German funding.

Last edited:
The Government allowed, for this vote only, all 17 year olds to have a say, & even with all those extra votes, the majority voted 'out'. :p

The majority did indeed vote out although your second assertion is not quite correct. The House of Lords backed a motion to allow 16 and 17 year olds to vote but it was blocked by MPs in the Commons - it was 18 years old and over only in the referendum. I have no idea what, if any, difference increasing the voter pool would have made but 17 year olds did not get to vote in the referendum.

Common Market, yes - EU, no.

I am worried by the naive assumption, by the "Second Vote" advocates, that in the event of the UK changing its collective mind, the EU would allow us to remain under exactly the same conditions. Effectively, we have already left and are negotiating the terms of our future relationship with the EU. If we were now to say, "Please can we stay?" the UK would be in a very weak negotiating position.

Having said that, I agree that this is not an appropriate forum for such a discussion.

John Colter.

The problem was that 'we, the people', signed up for a 'Common Market', but successive 'Politicians' have got us deeper & deeper into a 'Union' that we didn't, & don't want! :mad:

That’s virtually my view too though I try, with too little success, not to get wound-up about it. The other problem is that we have atleast one generation of younger people who no nothing else than being part of Europe and who are seemingly happy to have decisions made for them in Brussels with little input from themselves. Given the poor and polarised state of British Politics, where winning is everything and consensus is worthless, I can’t really blame that attitude too much.

The question that should go through every remaininers mind and ever leavers mind is why does the ‘other chap’ hold the opposite view to me? Perhaps if we could understand that then there might be some healing. The question that the EU should ask itself is ‘why would anyone want to leave us’? You can never please everybody and there will always be troublemakers who distort things too, but as a general guide I’d say that anything less than a 80% total satisfaction rating shouldn’t be acceptable to any organisation and that the EU needs to radically change rather than impose its views on people.

Last edited:
The UK has been treated with contempt and been robbed for 45 years by the EU. Of course this is seen as a fair thing to do by this fundamentally corrupt organisation. David Cameron did a tour of European Union member countries saying that this had to stop. They laughed their dicks off. They are not laughing now. The robbery will soon be over and the EU cannot survive without it. With the UK leaving there are countries that will now have to pay their fair share into EU funds. This will be resented, refused and chaos will occur. The EU cannot survive.

https://tinyurl.com/Countdown-To-UK-Out-Of-EU

Last edited:
But what about the new ukuleles? And what strings are best for Sopranos? What about the G problem— high or low?
:eek:ld:
some big issues being raised on this thread indeed, but i feel compelled to raise the stakes even further and ask - which are best, geared or friction tuners?

Downing Street Heckler
Presumably the various media organisations each have a presence across the road from 10 Downing Street between early morning and late evening every day. It seems that whenever any MP, especially a cabinet minister, walks in or out there is a heckler from the media making his / her presence felt. There seems to be a bit of co-operation about this. There is just the one heckler, more than one would not be clearly heard. I reckon that the media all get together and organise it such that each day there is maybe a morning heckler an afternoon one and an evening one, each from different organisations. I envisage a rota for this. Today the evening one got lucky.

Carlisle United got a draw tonight but lost by 4 - 5 in the Penalty Shoot Out. I am pressing that the result be decided tomorrow night by a People's Penalty Shoot Out.

Last edited:
It is going very well indeed. There is a 5 hour Cabinet meeting at 10 Downing Street. Let's not call it an orgy, it is simply a meeting with a 'peace and love' theme.

If you're going to The House Of Commons,
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair .....

Keeping an eye on this one. It sails pretty close to the rule that goes...

3) General Conduct - Please Don't:
[...]
3.5 Troll, or start threads that might seem calculated to cause trouble or get locked down.

But as it's in General Discussion, and as no one has been a complete horse's ass yet, I'll leave it open for polite, reasonable discussion. Anyone who seems determined to force the thread down the wrong road will receive a hearty metaphorical kick in the pants, so don't go there.

I suggest you remember that all opinions expressed here are just that, opinions. None is infallible or even necessarily sensible. Many will not stand up to rational analysis.

Stay cool. Behave.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom