Cuban Eye

Timbuck

Reaction score
After cutting a load of Cuban mahogany rosette channels yesterday..I neglected to set up the dust extractor unit, as a result I woke up this morning with an infected sore left eye and the right eye feels itchy as well..so now it looks as if i'm alergic to Cuban mahogany dust ..i must take more precautions in the future working with this stuff. :(

I thought this was going to be another timbuck magic eye style figured sides post.

This is what the Wood Database has to say about Cuban mahogany and allergic reactions:

Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Cuban Mahogany has been reported as a skin irritant.

I am not a particularly allergic person, but I have developed a sensitivity to Sitka spruce of all things, not known to be a very allergy causing wood. Even though I wear a mask and have a dust collection system, I occasionally get a searing pain in my sinuses that can last for days. Very unpleasant. This is what the Wood Database has to say about Sitka spruce.

Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Spruce in the Picea genus has been reported as a sensitizer. Usually most common reactions simply include skin irritation and/or respiratory disorders.

Never mind the eyes, Ken. Just look what it's done to your nose!

Don't try this at home

If you are sensitive to Cuban Mahogany, don't try this at home. Chainsawing Cuban Mahogany logs from a neighbor who is putting in a pool here in south Florida into quarter-sawn billets.

Attachments

• IMG_20181112_101101.jpg
    IMG_20181112_101101.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20181112_104240.jpg
    IMG_20181112_104240.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20181112_104232(1).jpg
    IMG_20181112_104232(1).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 39
If you are sensitive to Cuban Mahogany, don't try this at home. Chainsawing Cuban Mahogany logs from a neighbor who is putting in a pool here in south Florida into quarter-sawn billets.
Jon, how long does it take to go from sawn wood like this to being usable for instruments? Just curious.

I bandsaw the billets into rough plates roughly 3/16 (5 mm) thick. These are stickered and tied into bundles. I put the bundles in my 'solar dryer', aka, the attic, which gets quite warm on a summer day, and has pretty good cross-wise ventilation. They are soon quite dry, but I tend to leave them there for a year or two. They come down crispy dry, and then I stack them in the atmosphere of the workshop for at least some months.

Top Bottom