Is it necessary to apply a protector on Uke?

Delich

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've just got myself a Tenor Moonbird, it's beautiful shape and tone, with intoxicating scent of the rosewood, wow~

What I wanna say is along the Uke, there's a protector from Anuenue, I don't know if I should apply it on my Moonbird, just like the phone protector, it should be able to protect the wood from scratches, but I'm concerned it would also degrade the beautiful tone.

What should I do, is it necessary?

Thank you!

It's your call, but normally protectors are for people who use picks, aren't they(?) - maybe it is just to keep it safe whilst in transit.

Heavy strumming, especially with hard acrylic nails, can really scratch up a uke’s top, depending on your technique. When I saw Daniel Ward perform a few months back, his tenor had pickguards on both sides of his soundhole, as seen below. He sometimes plays a very percussive flamenco style with a lot of tapping, and I can see how that would really hack up a cedar top.

Here's some video from that show: https://youtu.be/StZK4d2gHoc

Daniel Ward.JPG

Last edited:
It is not neccassary but depending on where you strum and how you play it can protect the top from strumming scratches. I have an I'iwi tenor with a redwood top and the builder puts on a clear mylar cover. It is full width, starting just above the bridge and running to the top edge, see picture. He only does this on redwood tops because they are so soft. He makes spruce tops and does not do this, spruce is much tougher.

20160704_223453.jpg

It is not neccassary but depending on where you strum and how you play it can protect the top from strumming scratches. I have an I'iwi tenor with a redwood top and the builder puts on a clear mylar cover. It is full width, starting just above the bridge and running to the top edge, see picture. He only does this on redwood tops because they are so soft. He makes spruce tops and does not do this, spruce is much tougher.

View attachment 113462

Thank you, it's s stunning Uke you have.

View attachment 113462

Really pretty uke!

I prefer to have strum guards (clear) if possible as I have longer strumming nails that do scratch
the top and wear off the finish.
also, because I perspire a lot, the resultant effect is a darker discoloration of the soundboard at
the point of attack :)

just my 2 cents,

keep uke'in',

I've never seen the point. Sure, over time even fingernails can create scratches on a ukulele, but it shows that the instrument is loved and has been played. The example of Willie Nelsons guitar above is a good one - he'd never want to reverse that.

As for whether it will change the tone - it's far too subjective and impossible to test. Your ukulele will change over time as the top opens up anyway and your playing will change - so even if you measured it today, and in a year, the two results would not be fair to compare.

The only reason I can see for stopping scratches is to hold re-sale value or keep an instrument as a collectors piece - so I suppose the question you need to ask yourself is - did you buy the ukulele to be a tool to make music or did you buy it as an investment. If the former, don't worry about scratches. They show you love it.

All of my keeper ukes have scratches and knocks from gigging. Fact of life. I wouldn't have them any other way.

Last edited:
As for the question of a thin pickguard affecting your tone - it really would not in any noticeable way.
Heck, your hand resting on the instrument's top as you play would have tons more effect.

It depends on the finish as well. I have a Martin T1K and the finish is very soft. Easily marked with a fingernail. The finish is wearing away above and below the strings in the strumming area. It's ok, I guess. People pay extra for <road worn> electric guitars. But if I had a brand new Moonbird, I would put the scratch plate on it.

PS: There is a video clip on the Martin guitar site showing the annual factory service of Willie's guitar named Trigger

Top Bottom