NUD Fred Shields Modified Backpacker Ukulele

SA Condor

Reaction score
After receiving my Super Concert from Fred, I directed a few other people to him because of my positive experience. I was communicating with Fred and next thing you know, I had another Ukulele on order, Ha!

A friend was having a twin to my Super Concert made and so he ended up bringing my new Uke down with him! To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of the overall design of Fred’s Backpacker Uke, so I spoke with him and we came up with something that is more pleasing to me. It has the same sized body as Fred’s Pocket Uke and we borrowed the headstock style from that as well, but then it has the concert scale neck like the Backpacker.

My initial reaction when I received it and hadn’t tuned it up was, wow, this thing is small! The body of the Uke is very small and very narrow. Smaller than my XS Soprano. It’s a little taller than the XS, but narrower and thinner. Once I got it tuned up, I was blown away. I cannot believe the amount of volume pumping from this itty bitty instrument. Tonally, it has a much fuller richer sound than my XS too.

This has a Sycamore top with Cherry back and sides, Mahogany neck, Rosewood bindings, and a Sycamore veneer on the headstock.

Comparison photo of Standard Backpacker and Modified Backpacker added in post #14

ePeXVHZ.jpg

1BY9iu0.jpg

oRtP353.jpg

GLycThu.jpg

Last edited:
I’m not sure how I managed to not get the whole Ukulele in the frame . . . My bad!

CDcc2zb.jpg

8HHP4Jh.jpg

2l6Ae2P.jpg

Here it is next to a regular sized Soprano

DcqR5M0.jpg

Last edited:
Fred sent me some pictures along the way of the build process . . . I wish the forum would allow for more than 4 pictures per post!

p4YH1tb.jpg

Xmy0mb5.jpg

Hq8vTUL.jpg

7dRYuTI.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!
But I have to mention..........I AM a big fan of Fred's Backpacker design, I love mine.;)

If it’s ok with you, I may borrow a picture from your thread and post them side by side so we all can immediately see the differences.

Absolutely - help yourself. But within the last couple of weeks someone else (can't remember who) posted better photos of his backpacker than mine. Your new uke is beautiful. Fred is great.

He posted below . . . I’ll see if I can use one of his pics. If not, I’ll grab one of yours! Thanks for being willing :cool:

Absolutely - help yourself. But within the last couple of weeks someone else (can't remember who) posted better photos of his backpacker than mine. Your new uke is beautiful. Fred is great.

Thanks for the link. I guess I was thinking of your pics. If it’s alright with you, can I grab one to do a side by side comparison?

I love my new Fred Shields Backpacker as well although I think yours is a very cool variation. Here is a link to my recent post with photos:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?136292-New-Fred-Shields-Backpacker

Mitch

He posted below . . . I’ll see if I can use one of his pics. If not, I’ll grab one of yours! Thanks for being willing :cool:

Thanks for the link. I guess I was thinking of your pics. If it’s alright with you, can I grab one to do a side by side comparison?

Yes, that's why I posted the link.

Mitch

Fred made beautiful little uke in unique shape....Welcome again to the FS family. Congratulation.
I spent an afternoon with him this summer. He shown me some of his built. Yours could be in that batch and I may have 'touched ' it. He was in the middle of painting a bird for a client and was consuming a lot of his time to get the wood to absorb the ink. Mr Shields is always game for new challenge.

Wow, Condor, what a beautiful little instrument, and what amazing craftsmanship-- my hat is off to Mr. Shields, and to all the other uke and guitar makers who so devotedly give form and voice to the instruments we cherish! They have a special gift indeed!

Hi Brenda! If I remember correctly, Fred had just shipped my Super concert out just before you got there. Although maybe it was just after . . . Here it is with my new Backpacker.

bz3cEme.jpg

Fred made beautiful little uke in unique shape....Welcome again to the FS family. Congratulation.
I spent an afternoon with him this summer. He shown me some of his built. Yours could be in that batch and I may have 'touched ' it. He was in the middle of painting a bird for a client and was consuming a lot of his time to get the wood to absorb the ink. Mr Shields is always game for new challenge.

Wow, Condor, what a beautiful little instrument, and what amazing craftsmanship-- my hat is off to Mr. Shields, and to all the other uke and guitar makers who so devotedly give form and voice to the instruments we cherish! They have a special gift indeed!

It really is a wonderful little instrument! My 10 year old decided that she ‘needs’ one too, I guess UAS can be caught at a young age too :D

Congratulations SA Condor, that's a little ripper! :D

Thanks Campbell! I need to post up some little videos or sound samples. It really is an impressive little guy.

Hi Brenda! If I remember correctly, Fred had just shipped my Super concert out just before you got there. Although maybe it was just after . . . Here it is with my new Backpacker.

Yes super concert was shipped but the backpack was in the making.
I look forward to hearing your sound sample of these beautiful ukes. Please don't work Fred to death. ;)

Two weeks ago, I was at Costco when Fred text came in. He said he lost a lot of weight from eating healthy. He told me what to buy while I was still at Costco. I don't think I can follow his diet. Too many bird seeds and rabbit food. :) Judging from the photo, I think that is his son John who also follows the same diet. Look like John too lost a lot of weight .

Last edited:
Those are terrific looking instruments. Fred Shields' builds are meticulous and lovely. I'm glad that they sound as good as they look.

Top Bottom