Song Help Request Sunny Side of the Street

Romulus

Reaction score
Anyone have chord-melody tab for Sunny Side of the Street. I would like the Kiyoshi Kobayashi version that is in his book Ukulele Jazz. I cannot afford the book. There is a You Tube tutorial using Kobayashi's tab, but it is hard for me to follow where she repeats and restarts, etc..I have the first half down pretty well, but just can't figure out how the rest goes together.

Yes. That's the video that I have been attempting to copy. I just get a bit confused when she talks about which lines to repeat, etc. I have a difficult time understanding her. I have basically the first half of the song memorized already, it's that last part that I just need to spend more time on and try to pay more attention to what she is saying when she goes back and forth on the bars. it is a great tutorial, though. This song sounds great on the uke.

There is a good variety of songs in the book. I encourage you to go ahead and buy it: you can study the songs for a long time.

Anyone have chord-melody tab for Sunny Side of the Street. I would like the Kiyoshi Kobayashi version that is in his book Ukulele Jazz. I cannot afford the book. There is a You Tube tutorial using Kobayashi's tab, but it is hard for me to follow where she repeats and restarts, etc..I have the first half down pretty well, but just can't figure out how the rest goes together.

The book is great and it is easier to see the arrangement laid out as a whole because of the repeating bars and d.s coda etc. Definitely a bit more clarity where to go and repeat than seeing the tabs in segments.

That being said when I had the book I played the piece all wrong... Unless you're good at sight riding and subdividing the notes it might not even help you. If financially you can't afford it right now, and I don't blame you as goods from Japan are outrageously marked up for us Westerners... I would recommend keep at it with her tutorial and try to learn the song more by ear. You'll end up playing the song more appropriately as it's a shuffle strum which gives it the more syncopated jazzy feel and truly the heart of the song. When you get caught up reading the tab you just play every note uniformly sometimes.

Thanks. I have it down for the most part. I just need to be reassured that I am connecting the last few lines correctly. I may have to bite it and get the book.

You do not have to play it note for note. If you know the tune you can pootle around and find the melody notes around the chord progression, then play your own variation.

Top Bottom