Intonation and strings

Chinn

Reaction score
I built myself a new cigar box ukulele over the past 3 weeks. Not your average CBG- it has a nice Spanish cedar box topped with a nicely braced spruce top. Tenor scale. I made a proper bone nut and bridge for it as well. (I don't subscribe to the CBGitty idea of making it as crappy as possible..)

Does not have quite the bottom end as my proper ukes, but with the bridge mounted where it is on the box, that was/is to be expected. The tone is still really nice.

The one issue I'm having is intonation (its a bit flat further up the neck). I built it initially with a straight bone bridge. The issue did not show up down by the nut, but the further I go up the neck, it began to show somewhat. Nothing terrible (I've heard some 'high quality' instruments that were worse), but still worth correcting if possible.

I made myself a compensated nut and that did help matters somewhat, but the issue is still there. I've built many other instruments (guitars, mandolins, etc) and seem to remember some people suggesting a change of strings could improve the intonation.

The uke is currently strung with Aquila Super Nylguts. Would a change to Fluoro's or a different brand help me with intonation? Might be a good cheap experiment?

I built myself a new cigar box ukulele over the past 3 weeks. Not your average CBG- it has a nice Spanish cedar box topped with a nicely braced spruce top. Tenor scale. I made a proper bone nut and bridge for it as well. (I don't subscribe to the CBGitty idea of making it as crappy as possible..)

Does not have quite the bottom end as my proper ukes, but with the bridge mounted where it is on the box, that was/is to be expected. The tone is still really nice.

The one issue I'm having is intonation (its a bit flat further up the neck). I built it initially with a straight bone bridge. The issue did not show up down by the nut, but the further I go up the neck, it began to show somewhat. Nothing terrible (I've heard some 'high quality' instruments that were worse), but still worth correcting if possible.

I made myself a compensated nut and that did help matters somewhat, but the issue is still there. I've built many other instruments (guitars, mandolins, etc) and seem to remember some people suggesting a change of strings could improve the intonation.

The uke is currently strung with Aquila Super Nylguts. Would a change to Fluoro's or a different brand help me with intonation? Might be a good cheap experiment?

No ! sounds like the bridge is out of place.

Last edited:
Can you move the bridge or is it glued down?
Could you unglue it if it is glued down?

Anyway if the intonation is going FLAT up the neck then the saddle is too far away from the centre of the 12th fret. (too much compensation). Move it closer to the frets. If you move it too close to the frets then the intonation will go sharp. Move the saddle away slightly. Adjust until you get it right.

As to the strings. They do make a minor difference and if your really fussy then you will need to reset the intonation for different strings. In principle, more flexible strings need less compensation and less flexible strings need more compensation.

The average situation is that the intonation is a little sharp and a new set of more flexible strings will improve the situation. In your case of too much compensation already you would need less flexible strings. I don't think that this will be a remedy for you. Try moving the saddle.

Last edited:
Anthony, your answer is the one I was looking for. Thank you.

The bridge position is not bad enough to need to lift it and move it.

Top Bottom