suggest some good, classic Uke Tunes. . .

Captain America

Reaction score
I want to put together a uke songbook of tunes that just seem so right with the ukulele.

What songs would you include? what do you think works best?

I chiefly mean old-time stuff:

"smile" (chaplin)
"I'll see you in my dreams"
"Paper Moon"
"hawaiian war dance"

this kind of stuff. . .

You can't go wrong with "Dream a Little Dream Of Me" and "Singin' In The Rain".

Great ideas so far! How about "So In Love" ("As we stroll along together..."), or "King of the Road"? I realize those are a little more recent...

You can get some ideas for your songbook by looking at the Index pages for "The Daily Ukulele" by Jim Beloff. Jim's book is filled with lots of older songs that are perfect for the ukulele. If you go to the website "books.google.com" and enter the book's title in the Search box, you will find a Preview of the book. The Index is on pp.4-5.

'Magic Ukulele Waltz' and 'Music Box Waltz', both by Roy Smeck. They're more fingerstyle, but the Music Box Waltz in particular is just a joy to play (IMO!).
Also, the pdf tabs are freely available online.

"Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter" is a hoot. Another favorite of mine on a uke is CSN&Y's "Our House"

Yeah, thanks all. I do have quite a few standard uke songbooks. For this special one, I am looking for the 1910s, 1920s, 1930s romantic pop and classic hawaiian uke tunes.

Stuff along this line would be great in there. . .

Listen to and look at a lot of the stuff performed by Leon Redbone. There would be a lot of options there.

Yeah, thanks all. I do have quite a few standard uke songbooks. For this special one, I am looking for the 1910s, 1920s, 1930s romantic pop and classic hawaiian uke tunes.

d'oh! I suppose it would help if I'd actually read your entire post before responding :eek:

Hey Cap'n,

Give a look at Ukester Brown's website. He specializes in older sheet music and has a huge collection of songs from the periods you are interested in.

www.ukesterbrown.com/song-sheets.html

Nice guy as well.

Ulupalakua is a fun song to play and anything from Dennis Kamakahi works well too.

Top Bottom