Those Darn Cold-Weather Fingertip Splits-- Help!

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
Hello friends, as I get older (now 65), it seems that with each passing year, when winter approaches here in central Illinois, I start to get those little splits near the sides of my fingernails, and sometimes on the pads of my fingertips themselves, and they seem to get more severe as the years go by. Right now, for instance, I have developed two of them on the fingers of my fretting hand, and another on the index finger of my strumming hand, and it's really discouraging because it makes it painful to play, and I'll often have to go days at a time without playing at all. So, I'm wondering if any of my forum friends may have had this same problem, and if so, have you found a particular cream or other product that keeps those darn things in check-- something that you "swear by"? Thanks!

I've got the same problem (approaching 70). Vaseline Intensive Care unscented hand lotion once a day during the Winter helps.

I've got the same problem (approaching 70). Vaseline Intensive Care unscented hand lotion once a day during the Winter helps.

I use that stuff too. But whenever I use it during the day I seem to need to wash it off right away for some reason. So what I've found to be most effective is a really thick treatment just as I'm falling asleep, which since it gets to stay on all night, seems to do the most good.

You HAVE to try O'Keeffe's Working Hands Hand Cream. This is TERRIFIC stuff!!!:shaka:

http://www.okeeffescompany.com/working-hands

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! As it happens, I mentioned the issue to a friend just a couple of days ago, and she immediately said, "Get some Working Hands cream over at Wal-Mart!!" So, in view of slackkey007's equally enthusiastic endorsement, I'll start there and will let you know how things are going in a couple of weeks! Really grateful for the input!

For quick fixes to finger tip cracks and small cuts , I use New skin liquid bandage.

In the ounce of prevention category, try to wear gloves or mittens outside, and latex gloves inside when using soaps or chemicals. You might try wearing some gloves over that cream at night, too.

Since I stopped working at Starbucks, and don't have my hands in Sanitizing Solution all day, the cracks have subsided. Even so, I try to use an unscented beeswax-based hand cream; just a very small amount, and rub it in. Lasts all day, and doesn't feel sticky. I got mine from a beekeeper in Madison, WI at the Dane County Farmers' Market, and one jar lasts a year or two.

When the cracks get bad, I apply a drop of superglue. If that skeeves you out, try Medical Grade Cyanoacrylate - also known as superglue. it really works. Not great on the pads when playing, but perfect for those cracks along the cuticles and next to the nails.

Even in the moderate climate here in the UK I suffer from this as soon as the cold winter weather sets in. Mine was started by a touch of frostbite from riding my motor bike in sub zero temperatures with wet leather gloves many years ago. It only affects my thumbs down both sides of the nail therefore does not affecr my fretting (left) hand but it makes playing clawhammer with right hand is a bit sore at times. I am interested in trying some of your remedies.

Normally I just use unscented Lubriderm lotion for dry skin. When my hands get really bad in the winter I will use Norwegian Fisherman Hand Cream by Neutrogena. It's a thicker, heavier hand lotion. It can feel a little greasy until it soaks in. I assume much like O'keeffe's.

I know several dairy farmers that swear by Bag Balm. I don't know the brand. They use it every day, even in the very coldest, sub zero days. And they claim their hands stay soft, smooth and warm. The cows like it too.

Bag balm. We used to use it on our dairy cows. They get chafed when they get milked dry twice a day in the winter. My dad swore by it. Good stuff. You get it at any feed and farm store.

I tried a lot of products, but Burt's Bees Almond & Milk Hand Cream is the best I've used.

https://smile.amazon.com/Burts-Bees...396744&sr=8-3&keywords=burt's+bees+hand+cream
This is what I’ve been using the last year. Works ok & smells good. I put it on at bedtime. I’m a nurse, so I’m constantly washing my hands or using sanitizer. I’ve never had much luck with the New Skin/Crack Care/Super Glue type products. They don’t seal or heal my finger cracks very well. I’ve wondered about O’Keefe’s. I might try it. I’ve already got some little cracks starting & winter isn’t even really here yet.

For moisture i like lanolin. For longer term moisture i use paraffin hand treatments. Trust me it's not too girly. Worth every penny.

For cracks on fingers i personally use super glue on DRY and clean wounds. I learned this from rock climbers as this is what we carry to seal emergency wounds in the wilderness. I havent died, gotten burned, or become ill from doing this for years, but you might so caution is advised. Consult your physician and common sense. Liquid bandages just rub off too easily for me. Here is an article that mentions some medically approved superglues that will probably be safer than what I do: https://www.straightdope.com/column...ue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam/

I have “mummy skin” from the elbows down, and it seems like every time I put skin cream on I hafta wash my hands again. Because my fingernails are so dry and thin and brittle I had to quit playing clawhammer banjo.

Right now it’s super dry in So Cal, so we use buckets of skin cream to stop our skin from itching.

A lot of farm boys that I met in the Air Force said good things about Bag Balm, but I’ve never used it. :eek:ld:

The flesh "ticks" on the side of the nails are in my opinion a result of a poor health condition. I sometimes get them because I have got a cold. So maybe that is why they seem in english called that?
Dry humidity can do some, but I doubt?

They are most likely stress related too or combined.

So the solution is to rest, eat properly and take it easy. If able to do so, they disappear like a miracle.

Thanks, Jarmo, I think there can indeed be a stress-related aspect to these things, perhaps more so than we sometimes realize. Thanks again for all of your thoughts; it's nice to know that others contend with this "splitting" issue too, and the folks on the forum are always so generous and caring, which is one big reason I like to hop on here so often!

it is interesting that it happens in winter. Are you humidifying your house enough for humans, is the furnace drying you out and your fingernails?

Bill, I think the furnace kicking on and off during these colder days may in fact be contributing to the dryness. The nails themselves seem fine; the "cracks" I refer to are actually painful little splits that open up right next to the outside corners of the nails. I had some iced tea this evening and accidentally squeezed some lemon juice into one of them. Ouch!

Top Bottom