Those Darn Cold-Weather Fingertip Splits-- Help!

This Hoofmaker Hand & Nail Therapy stuff works well for me, my nails seem much stronger, great for skin on hands and feet too. I had terrible to nonexistant nails for over 50 years, now they're pretty decent, and thicker that I ever though possible, for me. They claim it was originally used by stable grooms to apply on horses' hooves, and the grooms noticed dramatic improvement on their hands and nails too. Not sure if that's all just marketing fluff, but it sure works for me. Some good reviews on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Mane-Tail-Hoofmaker-Hand-Therapy/dp/B00HLSZ3MO/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1543506873&sr=8-3&keywords=hoof+hand+cream

Just goes to show, I guess, that different things work for different people! So far I'm still having great luck with the Working Hands cream-- those painful little splits are staying away, whereas this time last year they were giving me a really bad time!

Yep, I've had these too ; in dry weather, in humid weather etc .....and sufficiently deep and throbbing that they wake me up at night.

When the cracks get bad, I apply a drop of superglue.

A great solution and works really well for me but I often need to put a little piece of paper/tissue etc on the super-glue to hold it shut.

But a word to the wise; don't scratch your face for a while and make sure your cell phone has a protective screen before your use the touch screen !

And do it when your wife is out...............you look such an idiot..................

Robin

I utilized the superglue method a few times in years past, but I decided this was going to be the year that I was going to actually heal up those cracks (and prevent them from returning, if possible), rather than patching over them. But, the superglue saved me a couple of times when I had some really nasty "crackage" going on, and had a gig the next day, so I'm certainly not bad-mouthing the superglue approach, at least for emergencies!

Well, the OKeefe's Working Hands didn't work for me. Over a week of religious use at bedtime and before work did very little. The split on my right index, strumming finger never healed up. Now I'm trying Burt's Bees Hand Salve.

Well, the OKeefe's Working Hands didn't work for me. Over a week of religious use at bedtime and before work did very little. The split on my right index, strumming finger never healed up. Now I'm trying Burt's Bees Hand Salve.

Doggone it, I'm sorry you didn't have good results with the Working Hands, RafterGirl. I guess it just goes to show that different things work for different people, and there's no perfect solution. Best of luck with the Burt's Bees; hopefully it won't give you..................... hives.

I am not sure if there will be a great difference between the products. One of the keys may be to keep the crack continuously moisturized. So if you wash your hands, then you have to reapply liberally everytime. After a shower or bath is a great time to apply to retain the moisture that has been absorbed.

Another trick is to apply a bandaid or use saran wrap on the crack after you glob the cream on (simulates the effect of the rubber tips) to keep that area constantly moist to promote healing and prevent worsening of the crack. Cutting the finger of a thin "exam" glove might work too.

I am not sure if there will be a great difference between the products. One of the keys may be to keep the crack continuously moisturized. So if you wash your hands, then you have to reapply liberally everytime. After a shower or bath is a great time to apply to retain the moisture that has been absorbed.

Another trick is to apply a bandaid or use saran wrap on the crack after you glob the cream on (simulates the effect of the rubber tips) to keep that area constantly moist to promote healing and prevent worsening of the crack. Cutting the finger of a thin "exam" glove might work too.
I'm a nurse, so I'm constantly washing, using hand sanitizer, and taking gloves on & off all day long. The O'Keefes has a very waxy, tacky feel to it. It seems to absorb quickly, which I was hoping was a good thing. It seemed to help a little for a couple days, but then the split got bigger. The Burt's Bees Hand Salve has a much more oily feel to it. We'll see how it goes. Other than the strumming finger crack, I haven't developed any others thank goodness.

I'm a nurse, so I'm constantly washing, using hand sanitizer, and taking gloves on & off all day long. The O'Keefes has a very waxy, tacky feel to it. It seems to absorb quickly, which I was hoping was a good thing. It seemed to help a little for a couple days, but then the split got bigger. The Burt's Bees Hand Salve has a much more oily feel to it. We'll see how it goes. Other than the strumming finger crack, I haven't developed any others thank goodness.

I worked as a nurse for 20 years and always had a bottle of Cornhuskers in the med room next to the sink. It's inexpensive, not greasy, no strong smell, works great, try it.

My hands are in sawdust a lot, which sucks all the moisture and oil off the skin. Lotions aren't very helpful. I'd be in a bad way without CA. A drop of the medium thickness stuff relieves the pain and lets the cracks heal from the inside out. I wouldn't want to try getting through the winter without it. The solvent-based coating that you can get at drugstores is a very distant second.

We have a winner! The Burt's Bee Hand Salve did the trick. Fingertip cracks healed up completely after using it for a week. I applied the Burt's Bees Hand Salve at bedtime, and used the Burt's Bees Almond & Milk Hand Cream during the day. I have a small jar of the Almond & Milk Hand Cream in my desk at work now.

The real trick is, whatever product you find that works for you, apply it religiously. If you slack off & quit putting it on after the cracks heal up, then they will return for sure.

Great news, RafterGirl !! Good to know you're now strummin' in comfort !! And I'm still doing fine with the Working Hands! As they say (or used to say)...
"different strokes for different folks..."

Top Bottom