Those Darn Cold-Weather Fingertip Splits-- Help!

Not sure if everyone is on the same page regarding relative humidity. If you keep the amount of moisture (water) in a room constant and then heat the room, the relative humidity will drop due to the greater amount of water that warmer air can hold before condensing.

A mild example is take a 15 degree C (or 59 degree F) room at 40% relative humidity. Raise the temp in the room to 22 C (72 F) and the relative humidity will now measure about 26%, even though the same amount of water is still in the air.

This also means that cold air at 30% humidity is much drier than warm air at 30% humidity. Thus in colder weather, your skin can be much drier and prone to cracking.

I get these every winter. As soon as it's cold enough to turn on the furnace. Right now I have one on the inside of my strumming index finger, right up against the end of the nail. Driving me crazy with strumming. It hurst & it gets hung up while strumming. Lots of hand cream, and I've been smoothing it off with an emory board.

I live in a higher altitude, dry climate, with cold temps & snow in the winter. Same thing as my ukuleles & humidifiers. Humidity in my office is above 40% in the summer with the AC on, as soon as the furnace goes on, the hygrometer dips below 40% & the humidifiers go into the ukulele cases.

I guess I use a primitive treatment: I put some Aquaphor on the finger crack, and then a little bandage to cover the Aquaphored crack. I do that overnight, and during the day if needed. But to play uke, I need to remove the bandages. It probably also helps to not wash with hot water; you even can wash using no water, with Cetaphil cleanser or something like it.

I live in New England, and keep my house at 60 degrees in the winter (unless someone else turns up the thermostat to 62!). If I had it at a normal temperature, I'd probably be bleeding from my fingertips. (That's a nice image....)

Thanks, Rainbow, I never had a very good understanding of the "relative humidity" concept, and your explanation helps a lot!

Great point about "hydration", too, Bill, and I think you're right-- I don't tend to "feel" as thirsty during the colder weather, and thus don't drink as much water as I should, so I'll try to start being mindful of that!

RafterGirl, it sounds like you and I have the same pattern of this problem, and yes, it is a bummer! I started the "Working Hands" cream yesterday. It goes on smoothly, and doesn't feel overly greasy if used sparingly, so we'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens!

Thanks, Dave, for those additional thoughts! Greatly appreciating all the perspectives offered!

Last edited:
Well, it's been a week since I started using the "Working Hands" cream, and I'm happy to report that the painful, annoying splits in my fingertips have closed up and healed. It took about 3 days before I noticed the improvement, and then things rapidly got better after that. I hope it doesn't come across as though I'm inappropriately promoting or lobbying for a particular product. Honestly, I had never heard of this product before a friend recommended it to me recently. I've had a hard time with this split-fingertip issue for years, and tried a bunch of different things, but this is the first product that really seems to have taken care of the problem for me. I will plan to keep using it throughout the cold weather/furnace season (a few times during the day, and also at bedtime, applied somewhat thinly so it's not making a big mess), and hopefully all will be well !! Everyone have a good Sunday!

I have the O'Keefes Working Hands cream on my grocery list today. The split on my strumming/index finger is driving me crazy.

Sounds great, RG !! I hope you'll see improvement, and again, most likely it'll be a few days before you start to notice things lookin' better, but after that it seems to snowball into a greatly improved situation. I know what a big pain it is having that split on the strumming finger. Last year I had to call the coffee shop where I was planning to play during noon hour, and cancel the appearance, because my fingers were such a mess, I actually had blood on the fretboard! Funny though, I still seemed to be able to do the.... split stroke... just fine. :rolleyes:

Those might be good for sleeptime, Jerry, thanks! Now, Rllink, hahahahaha, I'm chuckling at your reference to "mini rubbers"! (I wonder if the guy who invented those lived in a... condom inium...)

As others have said, hydration might be the cure you need.

I suffered from cracked fingers (in the corners, like the OP) for many years and tried all the creams and gels out there with very limited success. Finally, a wise dermatologist advised that "you can't fix it from the outside" and told me to significantly increase my water intake during the cold, dry weather months. For the two years I have been following her advice, this problem has been virtually non-existent. I don't know if this will be of help this winter, but I'd recommend that, starting next autumn, you drink lots of plain, clear water (no teas, juices, or anything else) every day and see how your hands react when the winter arrives.

Hahahahaha !!! Okay, that one almost went over my head! (Cam's last wisecrack, that is!)

Last edited:
As others have said, hydration might be the cure you need.

I suffered from cracked fingers (in the corners, like the OP) for many years and tried all the creams and gels out there with very limited success. Finally, a wise dermatologist advised that "you can't fix it from the outside" and told me to significantly increase my water intake during the cold, dry weather months. For the two years I have been following her advice, this problem has been virtually non-existent. I don't know if this will be of help this winter, but I'd recommend that, starting next autumn, you drink lots of plain, clear water (no teas, juices, or anything else) every day and see how your hands react when the winter arrives.

Sounds like a very prudent and sensible approach, Tom!

Those might be good for sleeptime, Jerry, thanks! Now, Rllink, hahahahaha, I'm chuckling at your reference to "mini rubbers"! (I wonder if the guy who invented those lived in a... condom inium...)

Yes, definitely. I would not wear them out of the house, and playing with them would hardly be possible.

As for their appearance, there are, no doubt, many jokes available.

This came up in my Facebook feed. Finger protectors. At least they don't look like trojans.
Finger protectors..jpg
You can get them from Walmart on line. You can also get them in different colors.

Pleased to report that a light application of the Working Hands cream a few times per day has those darn cracks healed up and well under control !! I've been washing my hands with mild soap and warm water right before sitting down to practice the uke, so that I won't get any cream residue on the strings or on the uke itself, and then I'll re-apply the cream after the practice session. So, for the time being, all seems well, and thanks again for all the helpful responses!

Last edited:
Top Bottom