Which of your ukes do you play the least? And maybe why!

cyber3d

Reaction score
For me. I haven't played my Islander Soprano for several weeks.Don't really know why. LOL

I have eight tenor ukes that I rotate through when I play on Sundays for 2 hours with an acoustic group (during the week I play bass uke/mini bass two days, so more focussed on that), but I find I'll grab my Kala cedar/acacia koa or my new Lanikai Thinline Figured Bocote a little more often. The one that gets skipped most often is my custom black mandolele, mainly because some months ago when I showed it to Jason Arimoto at U-Space, he heard a buzz on the E string when he played it, so I've become self-conscious about it, still have to take in to fix.

Mandolele black finished 700.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

My Fender Nohea Tenor, which was my first ukulele, is my least played. I haven't picked it up in months. It's difficult to barre. Even after I had it setup locally.

It has an acceptable, but definite, laminate sound. I've moved on to solid tenors that are easier to play and have a better overall sound. It used to be my travel uke, but even for that roll it has been supplanted.

I confess, I don't play my Godin MultiUke electric very often. I prefer playing acoustic.

My Cordoba 24B baritone gets the least playtime.... I guess I'm not really into baritones all that much. Its smaller sister, my 24T, gets plenty of playtime.

My first, Lanikai LU-11 soprano, it plays and sounds fine, but if I just want to play something I grab my Islander. If I want play something nicer and better, I get out the Kanile'a. If I want to play a soprano, I get out the ol' Martin. So, first uke just hangs on the wall, but I'd never sell it, makes a good lender.;)

My Fluke.

It is strung low G, and I havent really gotten used to that. So I only play it when I need the extra notes.

My Islander. It's my only tenor, strung low G, and there are times I wonder why I don't sell it. It's a great uke, but tenor scale just ain't me, apparently.

I confess, I don't play my Godin MultiUke electric very often. I prefer playing acoustic.
I'm a little surprised at that. When I got my Multiuke from the Marketplace not long a go, I was surprised how loud it was not amplified, I even use it with the Sunday acoustic group.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org

I almost never play my Kamaka 8 string tenor because I find the neck too thick for my left hand. I get tendonitis and it hurts shortly after I start playing.

I rarely play my KoAloha Concert ever since I got a Pineapple Sunday made for me by Pops

I don't play the soprano's often because I am not a fan of that size

What I do play every day are the KoAloha and Martin Tenors and the KoAloha 6 string tenor

I'm a little surprised at that. When I got my Multiuke from the Marketplace not long a go, I was surprised how loud it was not amplified, I even use it with the Sunday acoustic group.

For me it's the weight rather than the loudness. It's just heavier than what I want to lug around. Besides, I have several fine acoustic tenors that have wonderful, full, nuanced voices. The multiuke does play very well and sounds ok unamplified. I just enjoy the sound of my acoustic tenors more.

I play my Eleuke if I want to play quietly and not disturb my wife. Though I'm still getting used to its small neck size. Really jams my fingers up at times.

For me it's the weight rather than the loudness. It's just heavier than what I want to lug around.
I can understand that.

My Luna solid spruce top concert is the least played, but for an odd reason.

It was my first uke, was bought from HMS, so is perfectly set up and has nice sustain. When I first started playing, I sat in a vintage Victorian rocking chair that sat low to the ground. I never needed a strap as the uke was perfectly positioned to play on my lap, and the armrest was the perfect height to rest my arm.

After about a year, I sat down one day to a huge "crack" and found that one of the legs was cleanly broken off - not surprising as it is about 100 years old. I never found a similar seat to comfortably play that uke, and was gravitating to sopranos at the time anyway. It has a figured soundhole and I am afraid the inlay will snap off while installing a strap button. Still have the chair as a project down the road after retirement. Still have the uke out every now and then as it is my only concert size, and always wonder why I don't play it more.

Last edited:
My archtop tenor uke made by Toby Chennell. At the time I bought it, I was curious about the differences in tone from an arched bodied instrument, and what I found is that it doesn't suit my playing style very well. It's probably great for Jazz with fast chord changes and I'm sure others might make wonderful music with it, so I'm considering to let it go eventually.

Chennell.jpg

I usually sell off the ukes I don't play very often. Currently it is a wonderful Mya Moe baritone, my LfdM gets most of my baritone playing time now. I sold a Kamaka super concert and a Multiuke, the Kamaka has a flat fretboard, I like radius. The Godin Multiuke was a specialized instrument that just never got used, I preferred my acoustic tenors for unplugged sound which is how I usually play.

Last edited:
My Luna solid spruce top concert is the least played, but for an odd reason.

It was my first uke, was bought from HMS, so is perfectly set up and has nice sustain. When I first started playing, I sat in a vintage Victorian rocking chair that sat low to the ground. I never needed a strap as the uke was perfectly positioned to play on my lap, and the armrest was the perfect height to rest my arm.

After about a year, I sat down one day to a huge "crack" and found that one of the legs was cleanly broken off - not surprising as it is about 100 years old. I never found a similar seat to comfortably play that uke, and was gravitating to sopranos at the time anyway. It has a figured soundhole and I am afraid the inlay will snap off while installing a strap button. Still have the chair as a project down the road after retirement. Still have the uke out every now and then as it is my only concert size, and always wonder why I don't play it more.

I find myself with some overlap to Laura here. One reason that my Sopranos get played more than my Concerts is that the Sopranos just fit into my Armchair better. Of course I could play sitting on the Sofa instead but that’s just not the same, there’s something about sitting in an Armchair but I can’t put it into words. I can relate to the reticence about fitting a strap button too, like her I had a ‘special’ Uke that I didn’t feel comfortable about working on, but eventually - and very carefully - I fitted a strap button to the lower bout. Whilst that Uke’s now gone I decided that a Ukes for playing and a bit of wear and tear is just a healthy sign of use, sometimes I forget that but it’s still a reasoned guide.

My Uke collection is now relatively small at just two Sopranos and two Concerts. Of the two Concerts I have one is barely played, it plays well now but I don’t play it because using it stirs up resentment about the hard work I had to put in to correct the poor (but new) condition it arrived in. I should have returned it but didn’t and am too stubborn to sell it ‘cause I’ll take a hit on the price - illogical and foolish but I’m sure that my reaction isn’t unique. I have sold a couple of Ukes on in the last year that just weren’t getting used, one was a past favourite but my tastes have changed and one sort of duplicates another of my Sopranos - both were good instruments but simply surplus. I’ve given a way several Sopranos too, basic instruments that allowed me to learn and improve set-up skills.

Passing on what you don’t use can be sensible, it makes space in your life for other things and gives someone else the chance to love and enjoy that Uke or item.

Last edited:
I really don’t play my soprano very much. Over the years I have shifted from sopranos & concerts to tenors & baritones. But, I’ve only got 1 soprano and it’s the best soprano I have ever played, and I enjoy it’s warm, crisp tone. It’s really what I think of as classic ukulele sound and beauty, an all koa, handmade, Hawaii-built soprano.

My Risa Uke Solid. Just not enough to hold on to. But it's meant for travel rather than happy strumming anyway lol.

My tenor. It’s just too big. I prefer the feel and sound of a soprano. I also put a low G on it and immediately hated it. I’m about to try some different strings on it though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom