Bad Sound

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I recently built a banjo uke using a Remo drum head and ready-made neck. It was more or less an experiment - a learning experience for my next one. It sounds pretty good, but when I press down at certain frets and then strum, some strings sound dull. I noticed that the frets aren't very high, and I thought that might have been the cause, but it does seem like the strings are being pushed down far enough. Individually, all the open strings sound fine. It's only when I fret in certain areas that they are dull.

So, any ideas why certain fretting sounds dull?

Is there a pattern to the dull spots? My first thought is maybe the frets are uneven and some high ones are interfering with lower ones. Do the dull notes have a lot less sustain than the normal notes? If so, that might support this theory

Its not uncommon for there to be dead notes on banjo instruments as they are VERY sensitive to internal resonances. There is no mass in the skin at all.

Simple open back all wood banjo's can be a little dull. Metal tone rings and resonator backs are common on banjo instruments in order to make them louder and bring them to life.

Is there a pattern to the dull spots? My first thought is maybe the frets are uneven and some high ones are interfering with lower ones. Do the dull notes have a lot less sustain than the normal notes? If so, that might support this theory

This was a cheap maple fretboard I bought form eBay, so you can't expect too much from it. I doubt the frets are as level as they would be on a high class uke, but I never did check them. Yes, the dul notes do have less sustain. I shouold check the clearance at each fret with the strings held down at each fret. It just seemed odd that only one fret would make the string sound dull.

Sounds like the fret just above the dead note is a little high. If it is a resonance issue like anthonyg says, I'd expect the same note on a different string/fret to also be dead.

You're not on your own Jerry...I have a soprano style O uke I made a while back, that sounds a bit dead on the A string on the third fret.(no sustain) which is the C chord top end root, and to me it's very annoying when you play a C chord, but if I tune it to D all is well..It's a great looking instrument with an ebony fretboard and figured mahogany sides....I have put it away and don't know what to do with it for now ... if anyone is interested in buying it and sorting it out then PM me and we can do a deal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom