KoAloha Soprano w/ hard case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jddewitt81

Reaction score
Very nice early KoAloha soprano in great shape. You may notice the round soundhole, old label and slight difference in headstock design. This has the original hang tag and recipt. Comes with hard case for safe transport. The strings I believe are older Hilo’s. I personally am not a fan of them and you may wish to change them as they have been on there a while!

Price is $400 shipped for the package. Paypal. These older KoAloha’s are getting harder to find! Pictures can be seen in my album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QFiTPyE2nRvNWX198

Ha!
I almost bought this one.
But a couple things threw me off (in addition to having far too many ukes) :
That inside tag that looks strange, almost homemade (though the uke sure looks genuine Koaloha!).
And the seller said it was ply.
That seemed wrong to me for an early Koaloha, from what I've heard from about the company, and from the looks of this one.
I wrote to the seller, and he said “You can see two separate pieces of wood glued together in the sound hole. There is also a original tag on it that says “Two Ply Hawaiian Koa.”

Can you (or others) advise:
Did Koaloha really make tags like that in the early days?
Is it solid koa (did they even make laminates back then?)?

OK, a third question: Does it sound like a Koaloha? I've heard that the early ones were light and resonant, even without the uni-bracing...

Last edited:
I personally think they had no clue that it was even a Koaloha. As they didn’t even spell it koaloha. The spelled it K’Aloha as the inside tag is a bit different. Having owned a few KoAlohas I’m positive it is. Nothing ply about it but the build is definitely different as for bracing and stuff. The back and top are both one piece. It is marked 1997 inside. No tags at all that say ply. It’s kind of funny to be honest as I see a bit of koaloha and a bit kamaka mixed in. You can certainly see where they got their inspiration when starting out.

As for sound. These strings are absolutely awful but it still resonates very good. To be completely honest I was a bit blown away at just how good of condition it is in. These tuners I have never been a fan of but I don’t have the heart to put any others on as it’s all original. If I keep it I probably will. I really need the money though.

Ha!
I almost bought this one.
But a couple things threw me off (in addition to having far too many ukes) :
That inside tag that looks strange, almost homemade (though the uke sure looks genuine Koaloha!).
And the seller said it was ply.
That seemed wrong to me for an early Koaloha, from what I've heard from about the company, and from the looks of this one.
I wrote to the seller, and he said “You can see two separate pieces of wood glued together in the sound hole. There is also a original tag on it that says “Two Ply Hawaiian Koa.”

Can you (or others) advise:
Did Koaloha really make tags like that in the early days?
Is it solid koa (did they even make laminates back then?)?

OK, a third question: Does it sound like a Koaloha? I've heard that the early ones were light and resonant, even without the uni-bracing...

Tracie, I don't know when KoAloha made it to the Unibrace models, but my 2004 Concert, which was completely refinished by KoAloha this summer (the better than the weather warranty is the real deal) has the unbrace, but it has a sticker with the logo very much like that one. I'll attach a picture of the sticker.

I don't think KoAloha was playing with any other woods at that time...the body and fretboard should be 100% Koa. I don't know about the "ply" statement. That just seems odd to me. The tuners look right to me, too.

I'd be curious if there is a date stamp on the inside of the ukulele, under the neck.

I've got my eye out for a KoAloha soprano (not in any hurry), and I bought a KoAlana (original run) this past summer, too. So I do open every one of these "KoAloha Soprano for Sale" posts.

I'll also attach a photo of the KoAlana sticker which may be closer to the period of this KoAloha as well.

IMG_1971.jpg
IMG_1972.jpg

Beautiful Soprano!!

I have a 1997 concert and the labels are the same. All koa, same tuners, stamped 1997 on inside neck block. It is truly special, and the soprano that is for sale has to be amazing. I am tempted to start a "1997 Koaloha Collection."

Beautiful! And has a vintage look. How did 1997 become vintage? Sigh...

I'm sure it has that wonderful resonant KoAloha tone. Pops Okami only makes quality ukes. He also has a creative streak to change up details. I remember when Chris Choirguy was asking about his find. I located a picture on the wall of koaloa different years styling and it matched. This is a great deal if you want a koa soprano. I prefer KoAloha tone, feel, and playability over Kamaka any day. And with their better than the weather warranty you can't go wrong. Jon is a trusted seller here. He can't stop buying and trying, so we get to enjoy his cast offs which are always interesting and often amazing deals. Someone will be very happy with this. It's a find!

If I wasn't on a ukulele diet... I wouldn't have to keep breaking my diet.... LOL
:rulez:

I want to love kamaka for the pure history aspect but much rather actually play a koaloha! I know all of our opinions are different and they are all great but I’m right with ya on this one!! Definitely love KoAloha!! I have also used their warranty in the past on a used koaloha I bought and I can confirm it is the best warranty in the business that I know of. I’ve been trying my hardest to save save but it’s so hard to see something like this just waiting to be bought. Ha.. Back to saving!! Ha..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom