Squeaky string

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with wound strings and really like the Fremont squeakless low G. I have that on one ukulele and I have a wound C string on another BUT the wound C squeaks (a lot!)
Any tips on how to get a less squeaky wound string?
What I ultimately want is to try a wound G and wound C together on the same ukulele, but I need to reduce the squeak!

Thanks!

Thomastik-Inkfield if you're determined to use wound strings. Best thing going. Try a search to find which gauges you need. Lots of threads about them. I've only used them on baritone, but they're great.

You can eliminate string most squeaks by working on left hand technique. The squeak typically happens when you lift the finger off the wound string. If you lift straight up, no squeak. But if there is even the slightest lateral movement during the lift, you get a string squeak. Squeaks also happen when shifting chords or single notes with a guide finger (keeping the finger in contact with the string while shifting). For example, play a diminished 7th chord and shift it up 3 frets while maintaining finger contact with all 4 strings you get a loud string squeak off the low G. If you simply lift the first finger off the 4th string a split second before the shift, the squeak is nixed. This technique is typically taught when studying classical guitar but, of course, works great for 'ukulele.

You can eliminate string most squeaks by working on left hand technique. The squeak typically happens when you lift the finger off the wound string. If you lift straight up, no squeak. But if there is even the slightest lateral movement during the lift, you get a string squeak. Squeaks also happen when shifting chords or single notes with a guide finger (keeping the finger in contact with the string while shifting). For example, play a diminished 7th chord and shift it up 3 frets while maintaining finger contact with all 4 strings you get a loud string squeak off the low G. If you simply lift the first finger off the 4th string a split second before the shift, the squeak is nixed. This technique is typically taught when studying classical guitar but, of course, works great for 'ukulele.

Hmm, very interesting, thank you :)

Squeaks are often caused by "damp" fingers effectively "sticking" to the strings, if only ever so slightly.

Try using a touch of talc on your fretting finger-tips to dry them out - unscented probably in the long term, but anything will do for a trial ;) Admittedly, a build-up of talc in the windings of the string(s) may be an issue over time, but it'll wipe off with a damp cloth if done regularly.

My fingertips are inherently dry, probably from over 50 years of fretting, so I have the opposite problem, needing to moisturise them to get the holes on my flute or clarinet to seal properly - that can get messy !

YMMV - :music:

Tomastik Infield strings - I use both the 27 and 30 for the C and G on my KMulcock Tenor. Both strings totally smooth, so no squeaking.

its the Thomastik CF128 N Series Nylon Light Tension Flat Wound Clasical Guitar Strings set you need - works out about £17 for the two strings out of the set you'll use, but I've found them long lasting.

I was told by a respected luthier (no longer visiting UU, these days) that you can actually sand a wound string with 400 grit sandpaper before installation, making it a "smooth-wound". I did it once and it seemed to work to some degree.

D'Addario sells recording strings for classical guitar, basically polished bass strings. The 4th string, .028", works great as a low G on 'ukulele. I've used the sets many times for recording projects albeit they're slightly duller than normal basses. But, yeah, greatly reduced string whistles. If you practice careful left hand technique—lift and hop rather than sliding—you can eliminate almost all squeaks, zips 'n bumps.

Top Bottom