Low G string for tenor uke

Was playing Fremonr Soloist for a while as my low G, but tried a set of Romero linear (with unwound low G), and like them a lot, plus they last much longer than the wound Soloist.

I didn't realize they make an unwound low g. Are they nylon or flourocarbon? If I ever run out of the current seven or eight packs I have, I'll try them.

My theory about the life of wound strings is that it's at least partially something to do with the player's unique sweat interacting with the composition of the metal in that string. I've had regular wound strings wear out fast, but the Fremont and La Bella unwound seem to be holding up very well.

I didn't realize they make an unwound low g. Are they nylon or flourocarbon? If I ever run out of the current seven or eight packs I have, I'll try them.

Geez, now I can't find them either! Maybe I'm having a senior moment, or it was an older set that had an unwound low-G, def flouro. I got 5 sets of unused strings with a uke I bought, it was Romero, in with those.

Was playing Fremonr Soloist for a while as my low G, but tried a set of Romero linear (with unwound low G), and like them a lot, plus they last much longer than the wound Soloist.

+1 for Romero linears. I use them on my Kinnard, Beau Hannam and Moore Bettah tenors.

I'm no expert (in the ukulele in general, let alone a low G tuning as this is the first time I've done it), and I have nothing to compare them to, but I've got D'Addario fluoro strings on my Tenor which is an unwound low G - they play nicely, stretched quickly and stay in tune well (I don't play a huge amount and split my time between the tenor and my concert). I didn't need to open the slot on the nut either, although whether this is down to the instrument I don't know. The strings seem very similar to the string I took off though (which I believe were standard Aquila).

Top Bottom