Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low G string for tenor uke

Default Low G string for tenor uke

Hi all

Until recently I only played concert ukes which I fitted with low G red Aquila strings, which served me well. I recently bought a lovely Kala tenor uke - changed the G string to a low G red tenor Aquila but it snapped within a week. I fitted another - same thing happened after a couple of weeks. And now a few weeks on a third string has gone.

So, is this a common problem on tenors? (It’s never happened with my concerts.)

And is there an alternative low G string that anyone would recommend please?

Thanks all!

Unwound? Try Living Waters. They're some of the only unwound low Gs I've seen that aren't thick and floppy.

Wound? No clue, because I steer clear of them generally.
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Unwound? Try Living Waters. They're some of the only unwound low Gs I've seen that aren't thick and floppy.

Wound? No clue, because I steer clear of them generally.
    Thanks for your very prompt response, Rick - just ordered a set of Living Waters strings. Cheers again!

I'm no expert but recently wanted to fit low g to a concert and after much research got one of these and very pleased with it.

Fremont " SOLOIST " Squeakless Polished Wound Low G single string for soprano, concert and tenor size ukulele.

Check these out i get nearly all my strings from these guys very helpful if you want to ring them .
    Southern Ukulele Store https://www.southernukulelestore.co....-con-ten-size/

I agree with Ubulele, the only non wound G that I've liked have been the reds, and also that the sugar ones are fantastic, but oddly unavailable.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Flight Travel soprano

I gave up on the Aquilla Reds. They all snapped either while initially tuning them, or on the first strum. I was putting them on tenors, also
    1940's Martin Style 1 Tenor
    1979 Kamaka - HF-38 - 8 string Lili'u - tenor
    1997 Early KoAloha soprano (handmade lable by Pops)
    2012 KoAloha KTM-00 TENOR
    2009 KoAloha KCM-00 - Concert
    2017 KoAoha 6 string Imaikalani Tenor
    2015 KoAlana Soprano
    2017 Koaloha Pineapple Sunday Tenor with Engleman spruce top custom made By Alvin "Pops" Okami
    2016 Uke SA HARMONY WOW soprano (Hand Crafted by Alvin Okami)
    2016 Uke SA STAR SPANGLED BANGER (Hand Crafted by Alvin Okami)
    2017 Uke Kit by Alvin Okami

I have an Aquila red on my tenor and it has worked well for several years now. I had it installed by a luthier who also widened nut and bridge slots according to the string width.

I think you'll find the Living Waters low g stings to be simply awesome.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

i swear by a classical guitar D string... replacing your re-entrant g with one of these is a super easy way to try low G, you can use it on tenor, concert and soprano ukes. ebay usually has someone selling a set of 5 or so D strings. but then i do love the squeak of wound strings
    lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

Thread Information