Season 353 of the ukulele: Strummer in the City

Up to date with 60 videos on the playlist!

Hope I didn't miss any.

Was able to get my band mate to sit down today for a minute for a little “Punch Your Neighbor” session.
One take wonder here before running back to the turkey ;)

Made famous by Herb Alpert , well it was Herb's version that I heard first back in '72
and which led me to a rich relationship with Mr Alpert's body of work.

Scarborough really exists. It's a little city in the north-east of England.

Babylon, by David Gray. Always loved this tune, so decided to try it. For my voice, I tuned down to A. Just 4 chords: C F G Dm

Read your comment and HAD TO. Could not wait. Please excuse my bad behavior...I am around 10 year olds all day.

Read your comment and HAD TO. Could not wait. Please excuse my bad behavior...I am around 10 year olds all day.

Awesome song, especially when it has ukulele in it :)
If I am not counting wrong, this is only your third solo song this week - so you are not really breaking the rules. It is only the fourth song that has to wait to saturday or later.

Some miles up the coast from Scarborough is Whitby. In Saxon times, it was a major religious centre and later became a major whaling port. Whitby was pretty much cut off by land from the rest of the country and the main access was by sea. A railway was built in the 1830s to connect Whitby by land to the rest of the country and it is now run as a heritage line. I wrote this song a few years ago about a journey along the line to Whitby. The pictures are of the line but not necessarily in order except for the first two and last two which are of the two ends of the line.

Thanks for hosting Mikkel! Great theme and lot's of good entries this week . . .

Jesse (Lone Cat) Fuller tune, covered by too many to mention. Joined by my brother Jon, who adds all kinds of fun instrumentation very fitting to Fuller's one man band stylings.

Saturday in Finland and my final Scottish song. This song has a nice melody
and the arc of the song holds out much promise that something might happen
between the couple. You would fully expect that there would be a satisfying
resolution at the end, but there isn't. Life is untidy like that.

Levelland is a literally-named town in the western panhandle of Texas. James McMurtry is the son of Larry McMurtry, author of Lonesome Dove and other books.

I'm a little surprised no one tossed this one in the hopper yet, so here you go!

I lived in Vegas for four years and got out not only alive but also with a few bucks. ... I arrived with many more ...

6 months ago I posted my first entries in my first ever season - and this was one of them. So, time to dust it off and have another bash at it. Another one for London! :)

Wichita Lineman

My final entry for this season is another Jimmy Webb cover – Wichita Lineman – had to be done... Love this song.

Melissa decided she would like to take on a greater role in our band and this has assumed the title “commissioner of percussion.”
I was careful not to critique her rhythm until she put down the percussive objects. I would not put it past her to test my head.
Little Doug Sahm for ya-

Top Bottom