Season 353 of the ukulele: Strummer in the City

UkingViking

Reaction score
Intro video:

Welcome to season 353 of the ukulele!

Many odes to cities have been recorded, Frank Sinatra did a few and many others too. This week we do these songs on ukulele! And feel free to write a song about a city you have an opinion if you are so inclined.

The songs you play need to name a specific town or city in the title or chorus, or obviously be about that city.

The usual rules apply.

To avoid lumps of songs by the same Seasonistas in the play list, I will open up for a new entry every two days.
So your first entry you can post from sunday Hawaii time, the second from tuesday, third from thursday and final from saturday.

If you collaborate with other Seasonistas or have a friend or spouse play along, the resulting band has it's own song limit. Pets dont count, sorry...

No prizes this week, sorry.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjGqiWnN3Jl-nIn3Bt_NCtiRTBLfOH9UY

Last edited:
HA! UV I'm hosting for the first time next week and I had 2 themes shortlisted.One was called "I've been everywhere man"..comes from a novelty song where 90 towns are name checked.But basically the theme was exactly the same as yours!
Lucky I have another to use.
Oh and I obviously think your theme is a good 'un!

HA! UV I'm hosting for the first time next week and I had 2 themes shortlisted.One was called "I've been everywhere man"..comes from a novelty song where 90 towns are name checked.But basically the theme was exactly the same as yours!
Lucky I have another to use.
Oh and I obviously think your theme is a good 'un!

I thought of that Johnny Cash song when I decided for the theme, he he.
I am glad you had a back up plan.
When I though of the theme, I copied the list of previous themes and descriptions into notepad and seached for the words town and city... With no hits. Really? This theme had to be done.

The songs you play need to name a specific town or city in the title or chorus...
Great theme idea, but could you just clarify if the town/city has to be mentioned in the chorus, or is it okay if it’s mentioned elsewhere in the lyrics - maybe even just once?
Also, does it have to be just one specific town or city in the song or can more than one be mentioned?

Do fictional cities count?

Fictional cities are ok.
The city has to be a theme of the song, one mention is a bit off.

I probably won't have time to post anything this week but I would love to hear someone play "Wichita" by Truckstop Honeymoon.

Fictional cities are ok.
The city has to be a theme of the song, one mention is a bit off.

There goes my plan to do "Cities" by Talking Heads. It has verses about London, Birmingham, and Memphis, but only mentions each name once.

There goes my plan to do "Cities" by Talking Heads. It has verses about London, Birmingham, and Memphis, but only mentions each name once.

That is the song that sprang instantly to my mind, too. I could understand that it would be a bit off-subject though; it is a song about <cities> and not a particular <city.> i can see there is a difference.
This is a really fine theme for this season.

I probably won't have time to post anything this week but I would love to hear someone play "Wichita" by Truckstop Honeymoon.

I didnt know that song. I just googled it. Since it is actually about the cities, one mention would be ok. I was more concerned if someone would pick a generic love song that just mention a city in one verse without the city being the theme of the song. Or picking a song about city life vs country life, with no place to put a pin on the map.

From Sufjan Stevens great Illinois album.This one about the town / city of Decatur....and his changing feelings towards his stepmother.

London Calling

Strummer in the City, you say? *strokes a thoughtful chin* :)

Great theme, Mikkel, and very clever title!

Last edited:
Here's a good country music story song that both Stonewall Jackson and David Houston recorded. Figured this was a good time to try it. Did it one take.

Top Bottom