Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 353 of the ukulele: Strummer in the City

Default Season 353 of the ukulele: Strummer in the City

Intro video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zVsNqZWjwnA

Welcome to season 353 of the ukulele!

Many odes to cities have been recorded, Frank Sinatra did a few and many others too. This week we do these songs on ukulele! And feel free to write a song about a city you have an opinion if you are so inclined.

The songs you play need to name a specific town or city in the title or chorus, or obviously be about that city.

The usual rules apply.

To avoid lumps of songs by the same Seasonistas in the play list, I will open up for a new entry every two days.
    So your first entry you can post from sunday Hawaii time, the second from tuesday, third from thursday and final from saturday.

If you collaborate with other Seasonistas or have a friend or spouse play along, the resulting band has it's own song limit. Pets dont count, sorry...

No prizes this week, sorry.

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NCtiRTBLfOH9UY
    Last edited by UkingViking; 11-18-2018 at 05:58 AM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

HA! UV I'm hosting for the first time next week and I had 2 themes shortlisted.One was called "I've been everywhere man"..comes from a novelty song where 90 towns are name checked.But basically the theme was exactly the same as yours!
    Lucky I have another to use.
    Oh and I obviously think your theme is a good 'un!

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbaroque View Post
    HA! UV I'm hosting for the first time next week and I had 2 themes shortlisted.One was called "I've been everywhere man"..comes from a novelty song where 90 towns are name checked.But basically the theme was exactly the same as yours!
    Lucky I have another to use.
    Oh and I obviously think your theme is a good 'un!
    I thought of that Johnny Cash song when I decided for the theme, he he.
    I am glad you had a back up plan.
    When I though of the theme, I copied the list of previous themes and descriptions into notepad and seached for the words town and city... With no hits. Really? This theme had to be done.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Great theme! Thanks for hosting ~

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    The songs you play need to name a specific town or city in the title or chorus...
    Great theme idea, but could you just clarify if the town/city has to be mentioned in the chorus, or is it okay if it’s mentioned elsewhere in the lyrics - maybe even just once?
    Also, does it have to be just one specific town or city in the song or can more than one be mentioned?
    Thanks

Do fictional cities count?
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Fictional cities are ok.
    The city has to be a theme of the song, one mention is a bit off.

great theme, and i love the thread title !!!
    lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

I probably won't have time to post anything this week but I would love to hear someone play "Wichita" by Truckstop Honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    Fictional cities are ok.
    The city has to be a theme of the song, one mention is a bit off.
    There goes my plan to do "Cities" by Talking Heads. It has verses about London, Birmingham, and Memphis, but only mentions each name once.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Thread Information