Season 353 of the ukulele: Strummer in the City

The Avett Brothers have a great song called "Murdered in the City" but they don't name the city that it is placed it.

Paul and I have the same Strummer and the same city in mind :p Here's the b-side from the Clash's "Know Your Rights" 45.

Ewan MacColl wrote this about Salford back in the 1950s, but things have changed a bit since then. Now home to a complex of TV and radio studios, a very nice theatre, lots of designer shops, and some very expensive waterside flats. Over the years, different versions of this song have left out the actual name of the place, but I have restored it to its rightful place.

Here’s my second favourite (runner-up to ‘The Last Farewell’) Roger Whittaker song:

Did we already hear a song about a city in the Mississipi area?
The city had an estimated 2018 population of 308,626[8] and is the cultural and economic center of the Greater ??? Metropolitan area (home to nearly 3,000,000 people), which is the largest metropolitan area in Missouri and the 19th-largest in the United States.

Tom T Hall's "How I Got to Memphis"
Peace and grooviness to all! :)

I know of two Abilenes: one in Texas and one in Kansas. I know that the one in Texas was named after the one in Kansas, because at that time (long ago) Abilene, KS was a big cattle shipping hub. Even back in the 1800s, this was the destination for many of the historic cattle drives; that is, the cattle would be driven to Abilene where they would be loaded onto the trains to be shipped all across the country.

I have never seen Abilene, KS, so I can't vouch for its prettiness. I did live for two years in Abilene, TX, and I can say that it is certainly NOT the prettiest town I have ever seen. So maybe they wrote this about the one in Kansas. Or maybe they just liked the sound of the word "Abilene" and decided to use it for a song.

Anyway, I've always liked this song. It's fun to sing, and it has a nice repetitive chord progression. I think I'll start doing it at the nursing home. It should go over well there.

Great theme Viking! Especially as it gave me an excuse to take the JazzBoxUke out and do this cover of Randy Newman's 'Louisiana 1927'. Hope you all like it and looking forward to seeing how the week develops. Cheers, Mads

Originally performed by The Four Lads.......Then There Maybe Giants rocked it up a storm.

I have never seen Abilene, KS, so I can't vouch for its prettiness.

I think I've driven through it, but I honestly can't remember what it looks like. I think that is the place with the famous fried chicken restaurant that we didn't have time to stop at.

Season 353. Submission 1. "Copenhagen" Written and recorded by Lucinda Williams (2011)

Lucinda Williams was on tour in Denmark when she learned of the passing of her dear friend and manager, Frank Callari. She has said that this song depicts literally what she experienced. The song is also notable in her career as being the first for which she had a music video: a cartoon.

Thank you so much for hosting and your terrific theme, Mikkel. :)

For Season of the Ukulele 353, we're doing songs about Cities. Here's Guns of Brixton by the Clash. Steve Phillips played the soprano ukulele and sang. Brian overdubbed synth tracks of bass and organ, and sang a secondary vocal. This was entirely post-produced from Brian's "sickbed" as he recovered from hip replacement surgery.

This was my collaboration with Steve for his incredible 365ukesongs project:
http://365ukesongs.blogspot.com/

Stick another pin in Memphis, Tennessee. Stick another one in my heart, too.

Sunshine on Leith by the Proclaimers has been adopted by Hibernian football club
as their theme song. It is quite a sight to hear thousands of fans sing this song together
Listen the the fans sing Sunshine on Leith.

Absolutely lovely, Rob.

I wonder if you could use any help raking your forest. Asking for a friend :rotfl:

Greetings,

Great thread, not sure if I can find time during our big ol' turkey day thing and all that, but will try.

Ciao

Top Bottom