Got a hard sound - Why? Picking technique or Strings?

Andreas Fischer

Reaction score
I recorded a tune to wich others will play one by one their Instruments. (online colaboration)
When i did listen to my recording one more time today, i noticed that several tones sound very "hard".
I tried to play softer, didnt work. I tried another Ukulele, it did work somehow.

Now i dont kn ow, do i pick to hard or is it becvause of different strings on both Ukukleles?

Here you can listen; http://www.musik-instrument-spielen...er-land-9-strophen-SPUR-1-UKULELE-ANDREAS.mp3

What do you think?
Is it so terrible as i think it is?
And why? Strings or me?
Or can it be because i tuned the Ukulele down to E A C# F#?

Last edited:
Thank you.
In case its the Strings, are there some you can recomend wich sound soft?
I am not sure wich ones are on the Ukuleles, probably the ones they came with ;-)

Btw i just tried 2 more Ukuleles, both sound very hard. Just one of the 4 i tried sounds softer.

If one of the four sounds softer, than I would think it is a string thing. If it was you, I would think you wouldn't be able to get a soft sound out of any of them.

I don't know much about which strings would be softer. I have read that thicker and lower tension strings are softer but can't vouch for that. I intend to try that out when life gets a little less hectic around here.

That its the strings, sound logical to me with this explanation.
Well 2 are Sopranos and 2 are Tenors but that shouldnt have an effect, or schould it?
Tomorow i will try to find out which Strings are on it.

Very nice playing. Give Worth Browns a try for strings. They may be what you're looking for.

Thank you Kyle for the "nice playing"

@ all Thanks too
I didnt find the time to check wich strings are on
But untill now i tried
Ukulele 1, the one you can hear, a Tenor in "european koa" wich is accazia
Ukulele 2 mahogany in Tenorsize
Ukulele 3 and 4 low budget Sopranos, i dont know the wood

Ukulele 2 i can now play soft as babyskin - great
3 and 4 are so harsh that EVERY tone is hard, wich ist better then Ukulele 1 wich is sometimes ok and somtimes very hard

So i realy hope its the strings because Ukulele 1 is my most expensive one ;-) and it would be a pitty if i can use it for strumming only, she is a beauty but "difficult" like many beauties ;-)

So I will try different kinds of Strings
Soon we have Christmas and i will put all the Strings you did Mention and all wich will be mentioned, onto my Wishlist for Santa ;-)

Are there Strings wich i should avoid because the WILL make it even harscher?

Btw i will record my Part now on Ukulele 2

Very nice playing, congratulations.

Strings can make a huge difference. A lot of the strings that ukes come strung with from the factory are terrible and yes, harsh. My suggestion would be switching to fluorocarbon strings as well, something like Worth, Living Water or Oasis.

By the way, a company that is marketing Acacia wood as "European Koa" seems to be somewhat misleading in their advertising, since Koa is the exclusive name for a species of Acacia that only grows on Hawai'i. Personally, I wouldn't put too much trust into their products.

Honestly, I believe it's your technique. But not to fear. With a little extra attention it will sound fabulous. You've got the notes down pat, you probably just need a little more focus on your right hand. Happens all the time. People get excited to play the notes of the song (left hand) and neglect picking technique (right hand).

It sounds like you're playing pretty close to the bridge. Try moving your picking hand towards the neck more.

Are you scooping the strings (hooking them with your nail)? That creates an extra aggressive sound. Look up the "rest stroke." Even if you don't want to use that style, the way it teaches you to pull your finger through the string is very good for your tone and you can adapt it to your own fingerpicking.

Daniel Ward's Arpeggio Meditation videos come to mind as a great resource for your style: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/arpeggiomeditations.

Sounds fine now, but the good news is that it will soon sound GREAT!

Very nice playing, congratulations.
THank you

Strings are on the wishlist

I know KOA is only growing on Hawai. Thats why i wrote europen koa in ""
I agree a company misleading that way is not a good behaivier. Normaly wouldnt trust in such a comopany.

But this is a Thomann Ukulele and Thoman is a Dealer i DO trust. As far as a custumor can trust in a dealer today. :-(

Well Thoman is not the builder its is APC in Portugal but they are also building for Thoman and they sell those instruments with a thoman lable.
But they are the same instruments and built in Portugal. Just another lable.

I dont know whose idea it was to call this "european koa". Thomann or APC. I think its just the way Buisness work today. Its sad and its stupid and ... anyway, its a very nice Ukulele. Ok i bought it becauise its beautifull look but untill now i realy enjoyed the sound too.
I hope strings can help.

Sounds fine now, but the good news is that it will soon sound GREAT!
Thank you, too
I got very short nails so they arent touching the strings. (they always broke on the steellstrings of m guitars)

I will have a look at my technique. Its much better with other Ukuleles (tried another one today an ashwood concert) but its always good to develop e better technique, isnt it?
I tried a lot today and i must check it with the recording i guess its always my thumb

Now ill check the video

Last edited:
If you're interested, posting a video of yourself playing would make it easier to give recommendations.

i will , i will but i have no time at the moment for videos - it will be next year untill i can think about videos

Top Bottom