cookie tin banjo uke dimensions

captain-janeway

Reaction score
Found a nice vintage cookie tin I like that's 10" x 1.5".
Is that depth too little to get a nice projection? Most of what I've found online seems to be 2".

Also, what would 3" be too much?

I am probably not the best person to comment from a technical point of view but I am definitely the person who has made the most cookie tin ukes. I have generally found that the sound is more dependant on the steel than the size. If it makes a nice noise when you tap it it will probably make a nice sounding uke. If it rattles like a banshee it will make a uke that rattles like a banshee and wails like a blues train. Bung a stick in it and see how it goes.

I am probably not the best person to comment from a technical point of view but I am definitely the person who has made the most cookie tin ukes. I have generally found that the sound is more dependant on the steel than the size. If it makes a nice noise when you tap it it will probably make a nice sounding uke. If it rattles like a banshee it will make a uke that rattles like a banshee and wails like a blues train. Bung a stick in it and see how it goes.

Thanks. Most cookie tins seem pretty quiet. If I want screaming banshee I think I'd be going more for a gallon olive oil can. I did some research on a cigar box uke site, and it seems like a fair amount are pretty quiet unless they're amped. Are you willing to post photos of those you did? I didn't find as many banjo/ banjo ukes searching around as I did cigar box guitars.

https://plus.google.com/photos/106666028083945896774/albums/5951625012969902641

Or

https://goo.gl/photos/vsYTthCBb6SCfaYT7

Also see my instructable.

Https://www.instructables.com/id/Ford-mini-glovebox-guitarukulele/

I have altered my technique a little since I did the instructable. I now make some relief cuts in the base and cut/bend the lid hole for the neck.

THANKS!! Now I have to figure out dimensions for neck, etc.

I'm going to cheat and swipe the neck off a cheap uke and figure I'll have to put on an extension block at neck to get proper measurements (want to put on concert neck onto a round tin or put on a lunch box)
As far as volume, would a deeper tin help, or putting on some screen resonators? Also after looking at a couple of the tins and lunch boxes, it seems like most people seem to do their builds so the the strings/bridge are on the bottom. Any reason for that? I'd like to save the design for the front if possible.

Top Bottom