Show Off Your Hawaiian Made Ukes

I'm pretty happy with my Maui Music pre-fire 2000 soprano. It's a real player and a keeper 20190218_124518.jpg 20190218_124615.jpg

I have a couple of ukuleles made in Hawaii by Keith Ogata. I believe that Keith started making ukuleles in the late 1990's/early 2000's under the brand ASD. They are both 18" scale.

I bought the darker one, his model Kinohi, in 2007. It only has a side port, which was rare back then. Keith felt the design offered more soundboard area and increased the volume. This has been my go to ukulele for years. It is a bit bright, so I tune it to Bb and that works well.

I bought the lighter, traditional shape PD-1, ukulele in 2010. By this time Keith had incorporated a saddle/bridge design that was based on the Alvarez Yairi Direct Coupled Bridge. Keith did change the saddle design to individual saddle pieces that are made from ebony. Keith did this to get better string-to-string sound definition. The ukulele is tuned to C and it is exceptionally clear with an overly harp sound. I have since made a dowel from an ebony block and cut my own saddle pieces.

I added arm rests 6/8 years ago to protect the finish from perspiration. They have worked well for that and added sustain since my arm is elevated off the soundboard.

I don't think Keith is making ukuleles anymore, or at least offered to the general public. His website wasn't updated for years and it is now shut down. I had correspondence with him years ago and he seemed like a truly nice person.

Keith Ogata Ukuleles.jpg

John

2015 Special Issue KoAloha long neck soprano. Cedar top, koa body, mango fretboard

Attachments

• DSCF1749.jpg
    DSCF1749.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF1750.jpg
    DSCF1750.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF1748.jpg
    DSCF1748.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 10
2015 Special Issue KoAloha long neck soprano. Cedar top, koa body, mango fretboard

Beautiful!.... How does the cedar top compare with your koa concert... how does the long neck sop compare w the concert sound?

Beautiful!.... How does the cedar top compare with your koa concert... how does the long neck sop compare w the concert sound?
Apples & oranges. This one definitely has the soprano bark & jangle, even with the cedar top.

Raffrox: That pale koa on your Maui Music is quite attractive. Looks great with the satin (or hand-rubbed oil) finish.

Thanks Kenn.

It's got a few war wounds with the previous owner using a plastic pick so the finish does have a bit of a worn look but I think that adds to the character of it. It sort of feels and plays like a uke that is older than 19 years in a good way.

The wife and I only own two Hawaiian made ukes (at least for now...)

First up, a Kamaka HF-2 anniversary edition. One of my favorite instruments. This picture doesn't quite do the grain and coloration justice, but I tried my best. Headstock stamp is December of 2016, so she is part of the final push of instruments started at the end of their anniversary year. I picked her up used from the nice folks at Elderly Instruments. (I named her Samantha.)
i-j9s5SL5-L.jpg

The other one is a KoAloha Koa soprano. I believe the headstock stamp puts it from sometime in 2011, but I am not at home right now to check. Also a used purchase from Elderly. Hadn't gone it looking for a soprano, but I really loved the look and sound. I feel bad that I don't play him more often, as he is the nicest sounding soprano we own. (I named him Dave.)
i-zd4WMNK-L.png

Attachments

• i-j9s5SL5-M.jpg
    i-j9s5SL5-M.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The wife and I only own two Hawaiian made ukes (at least for now...)

First up, a Kamaka HF-2 anniversary edition. One of my favorite instruments. This picture doesn't quite do the grain and coloration justice, but I tried my best. Headstock stamp is December of 2016, so she is part of the final push of instruments started at the end of their anniversary year. I picked her up used from the nice folks at Elderly Instruments. (I named her Samantha.)
i-j9s5SL5-L.jpg

The other one is a KoAloha Koa soprano. I believe the headstock stamp puts it from sometime in 2011, but I am not at home right now to check. Also a used purchase from Elderly. Hadn't gone it looking for a soprano, but I really loved the look and sound. I feel bad that I don't play him more often, as he is the nicest sounding soprano we own. (I named him Dave.)
i-zd4WMNK-L.png

Beautiful - both. I have both soprano and tenor anniversary ukes, and I'm going to sell one - doesn't matter which. I'll never sell my KoAloha soprano, though. That was my first good uke. I will be selling my KoAloha Opio soprano.

My Kamaka

Kamaka HF-2LD.jpg

My main axe, Maui Music T4K-DLX. Fantastic instrument, wide neck, great action, beautiful sound. Thank you, Peter Lieberman and whoever on this site sold it to me used about five years ago.

Doug Tanner

Attachments

• Maui-Music-4.jpg
    Maui-Music-4.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Maui-Music-3.jpg
    Maui-Music-3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Maui-Music-12.jpg
    Maui-Music-12.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Maui-Music.jpg
    Maui-Music.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
My 'Island' style soprano is not Hawaiian made, but it is a very faithful reproduction, and could be considered a 'K' brand. Ken Timms made this, using the original techniques. It is a faithful copy of a Hawaiian uke from about one hundred years ago. No Koa trees were endangered in this production, but it did contribute to the depletion of Mahogany supplies.

John Colter

It's a little beauty:

Attachments

• Ken Timms 'Island' style.jpg
    Ken Timms 'Island' style.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 20
Amazing ukes guys. That Maui Music might be one of the nicest looking ukes I've seen!

KoAloha Special Issue longneck soprano. Port Orford cedar & koa. Circa 2015

Attachments

• DSCF1749.jpg
    DSCF1749.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF1750.jpg
    DSCF1750.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF1759.jpg
    DSCF1759.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF1748.jpg