Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you tune your uke?

I check tuning almost every time I pick my ukulele up. Seldom needs tuning of course ( over 6 month old strings).

At home I first play strumming the I V vim IV, I iiim iim(7) V7, I IV V7, vim iim III7, I vim IV V sequences in C/Am before checking the tuning.
    I have found out that after good strumming the string pitches rise slightly (only maybe a 2..5 cents), so best way is to check the tuning when the uke (strings) are warmed up.

And that way my ukulele strings are always from day to day within a few cents range in same pitch.

Normally, ever time I pick one up, unless I've already checked it that day.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I make sure my ukes are in tune every time I pick up one with either the built in tuner or the D'Addario/Planet Waves micro tuner I have on each of the others.
    Are there built in tuners on some ukes?

Edit: of course, you mean using just the strings? Got surprised myself when finding out how scary good the electronic tuner was compared to that. At first it sounded so "clinical", and "unnatural". Now I feel it's just the basis of pleasant play.
    Last edited by player; 11-19-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    Have a good soprano

My whistling channel

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    I check the tuning every time I pick up a uke, usually by playing a G6 chord (fingered 0202), and once that chord is sounding nice and precise, all else tends to be well. And every couple of days, I'll clip on the Snark tuner and make sure I haven't had any "drift" one way or the other off of "universal". But honestly, I'm a compulsive tuning-checker, which probably isn't a bad thing, as it's not a good situation to be playing out-of-tune; actually there's really no excuse for it, kind of like missing a belt loop...
    Likewise. I check every time I play one. I use a C5 chord - 0022 (G5 on a baritone). If it's in tune there should be no "beats". If I hear the slightest "wobble", I retune. If it starts to sound "off" during a playing session, I will check and tune again. If I'm playing In front of others, I always check before I start playing, even though I will have tuned up beforehand.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Every time I take it out of its case and at regular intervals when playing outdoors and the temperature changes during a gig.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar
    Anuenue - Flame Maple Soprano
    Barron River 8 string Tenor - Black Limba and Lutz Spruce
    Beansprout Banjolele - Walnut and Pistachio

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Bill, I said IF it sounds off. If it does, it gets slapped down with a Snark
    Snarky way to deal with an opinionated uke.

I never give my ukes a chance to sound off. I always tune before playing them.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

I tune it every time I pick it up to play. If the strings are newish, I'll tune it every few minutes. Ordinarily, I prefer to leave the tuner off the uke, though, for both appearance and to prevent marks on the headstock. I'm I know a uke will be sitting unused for a while, I'll loosen the strings. I don't know if that's a good idea or not, but I don't like to be any more tense than I have to be, so I figure the uke feels the same.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I don't like to have anything attached to the uke either, so having the tuner in my lap...not a problem as there are no other significant tones around, so air transmitting is ok.
    Last edited by player; 11-20-2018 at 03:25 AM.
    Have a good soprano

My whistling channel

Whenever it needs it. Seriously, I tune it whenever I'm going to sit down and play it. Like Jerry, I don't leave the tuner on my uke, so sometimes if I'm lazy I just go through the C scale and if a string sounds out of tune it off of the A string, but that isn't often, usually I clip on my tuner. I used to leave the tuner on my ukes and got kind of neurotic about tuning, but now my grand daughter takes them off while I'm playing and loses them so I've gotten into the habit of putting them up somewhere after I've tuned. Then I can lose them.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

When I pick it up - if it sounds off. Surely the same as everyone?
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Thread Information