Simple Repair?

Yes looks like a simple, straight forward repair. However we must keep in mind Mr. Murphy and his laws:

Murphy's First Law: Nothing is as easy as it looks.

Murphy's Seventh Law: It is a fundamental law of nature that nothing ever quite works out.

And Murphy's Last Law: If nothing went wrong today, you're probably dead.

I would say that there are two possible causes to the gap: 1) the fretboard has pulled away from the neck or (2) the neck has pulled away from the fretboard. To see if it is 1, take a long straight edge and lay it on fretboard. There should be a slight hump if it is 1. If it is flat it is 2. Clamp and glue if it is 1 or fill and sand if it is 2. However see Murphy's Laws above. Good luck!

I'm on the same page as sequoia, nothing is ever as easy as it looks, and there is something else wrong with it, otherwise it wouldn't have pulled apart like that. If it was an easy fix, why didn't the seller fix it before trying to sell it? My question Jerry, is why buy someone else's problem? There are a lot of ukuleles out there that don't need fixed. But if you like fixing ukuleles, that is a different subject.

If by simple you mean:
Taking the entire fingerboard off,
Scraping/sanding the bad glue off,
Reglue fingerboard
Refine FB/neck transition (as it always changes)
Refinish with matching colour.
Possible/Probable fretwork.

Every repairperson has a list of quick and dirty operations that keep cheap instruments playing and beer money in their wallets. The Q&D fix for your uke is simple and fast. The full-blown, professional repair is as Beau has listed. 'Just wanted you to know that you have a choice in the matter.

Top Bottom