New Ukulele Kit from Stewart MacDonald

Here is what the ad copy says: "We did not cut any corners in sourcing the woods for these amazing kits." Really? I suppose you have to give them a half of a point for disclosing that the "koa" is Acacia confusa rather than Acacia koa but they lose a whole bunch of points for calling it "koa." Acacia confusa is a non-native species that does grow in the Hawaiian Islands but that doesn't make it koa.

For all I know, Acacia confusa may be a fine tonewood but don't be confused. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
I am thrilled to see the all solid kits available again, but I agree with David on what I would almost call misrepresentation with the statement of “Koa”.
Now I need to decide between Mahogany and Acacia. :confused:

Cheers,

Steve.

The Stew Mac kit I just built has the solid Mahogany top and laminated back/sides. I know the builder has a huge influence, but is there really a significant tonal difference with the solid back & sides? I know if I had it to do over, I would not have used the x-bracing that came in my kit. My uke has good sustain, but to my ears, the volume seems muted compared to many recordings I hear.

For all I know, Acacia confusa may be a fine tonewood but don't be confused. Caveat emptor.

Good catch. I did not see that. Some quick research shows it is native to SE Asia. Nothing about it growing in Hawaii although it might have been imported. This is what Wikipedia says about the wood.

its wood is used to make support beams for underground mines. The wood is also converted to charcoal for family use.

Nothing about musical instruments. Doesn't mean it wouldn't sound good...but.

Acacia confusa is not native to Hawaii, but it does grow well there. It is an attractive wood, it often looks very near to koa, but it is not acacia koa. Selling wood as koa when it is not is very unethical, I'm surprised that SMD would lie like this.

Last edited:
Here is what the ad copy says: "We did not cut any corners in sourcing the woods for these amazing kits." Really? I suppose you have to give them a half of a point for disclosing that the "koa" is Acacia confusa rather than Acacia koa but they lose a whole bunch of points for calling it "koa." Acacia confusa is a non-native species that does grow in the Hawaiian Islands but that doesn't make it koa.

Instead of calling it "Acacia Confusa" maybe they should call it what it is, "Acacia Confuse Ya". 😝

Last edited:
I wrote SMD a letter concerning the "solid koa" assertion on their kit. Will post the reply here when I get it...

Now I have had mostly good dealings with SMD over the years and I don't even want to think about how much money ($$$) I've sent them. Their customer service has consistently been excellent and their materials and tools have been top-notch (with a few exceptions). My problem with them has always centered around their marketing and pricing. But we need to keep in mind that the pointy headed guys with the pencils and the calculators are not luthiers. Their job is not making musical instruments but making money.

It does not make it Hawaiian Koa. They avoid clarifying as such and so are correct. I agree that there is a smidgen of snake oil in there but it is what they say it is unless someone is prepared to take out an injunction against them and everyone else who calls their acacias koa. It's like solid wood laminate which we're it not for the laminations all going in the same direction would be strictly classified as plywood - I considered a glued up side 'plywood' but because I consider it so, it don't make it so. In truth, I do not think the customer is being deceived. Giving the specie and classification clarifies the origin of the wood. Anyone bothering to read the spec (due diligence like) would immediately know it's not Hawaiian koa....Dishonest? No. Sly? Yes! Am I still going to buy my suppliers from them? you bet. This is a very small storm in a tiny tea-cup that is probably only a problem for the handful of purists who may read this thread.

I will say this tho. It is clear from their recent catalogue descriptions and stuff that someone from marketing has been 'brought in'. Woodstax descriptions are distinctly over-the top - bit like their prices. I guess they are responding to the changing nature of buying and selling in the 21st century.

On a lighter note I'm very pleased to see that in the standard uke kits they offer a baritone model. I'm thinking I may "need" one of those...

It's like solid wood laminate which we're it not for the laminations all going in the same direction would be strictly classified as plywood...

Thanks for that! I had no idea.

I will say this tho. It is clear from their recent catalogue descriptions and stuff that someone from marketing has been 'brought in'.

Interesting! Some descriptions in online catalogs are unintentionally amusing. There were a few episodes on Seinfeld about Elaine working for a catalog company that had over-the-top descriptions.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Stewmac got back to me regarding the Acacia confusa being called "koa". Response posted below:

Thank you for contacting us. I think the decision was based around Acacia Confusa being called "Formosan Koa" or "Taiwanese Koa" in some circles. In either case, I will place it on you account with us so that it will be brought up at our next product meeting for review. Otherwise, I'm glad you are exited about the new premium wood kit! We are glad to be able to include a premium uke kit in conjunction with our more cost effective model.

I built a soprano kit from stewmac that i got from my Father in law...not sure why he never built it....its solid wood so it was before they changed to the laminated or-------->{plywood}.
I changed a few things...made my own bridge...changed the fretboard to ebony and made it longer...and changed up the nut and saddle.
Also went with different tuners...
I put a fench polish on it and am very happy with how it sounds...
Very loud for its size..
Not sure if i would have liked it as much if i had left the stock bridge,fretboard and saddle, nut combinations. The bridge orginally was Rosewood and was suppose to be screwed onto the soundboard.

0416181231_Film4.jpg

Saw that StewMac has solid spruce top tenor kits on sale (25 % off all uke kits) for $97.46. Back and sides are laminated walnut.

Seems all there uke kits are 25% off right now.

Top Bottom