Machining a bridge in 2 minutes and 7 seconds!

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
For along time I looked with envy at those using CNC technology to make parts. Now I can do it. Video here shows how I now make my pin bridges on my new 'index board'. You will need to turn the sound down on your computer...

Sorry about there classic error recording this in portrait :(

This makes me think that it wont be long before you can click an app on your phone?/brain implant? , design your uke , click send and in 2 days your custom design uke
is on your doorstep.

Why aren't you also shaping the top of the bridge Pete? That would be the first machining operation. Usually with a ball end mill. Then onto slotting and string holes and final contour.

I am a very poor programmer so I to only do 2D work. The wings are done on a table router and my vertical linisher will shape the top. £ minutes tops so with all the pre and post processing - 10 minutes max.

What CAM software are you using Pete I have recently purchased a CNC and I'm still getting my head round it all.
I am using Vectrics V Carve software

Thanks for the great video. Very nice and well done. You are indeed pushing the boundaries using such technology. I only make one at a time and each one is unique. I sell my ukes as and when I make each one. They are almost immediately adopted. I have been making a series of 6 teardrop shape ukes for various players who want wider necks and string spacings. Mainly for elderly players who have arthritis and have difficulty with cramped necks. One on the table now, but it is raining cats and dogs here. No gluing back braces today. It is great to touch base with some great Australian builders.

Top Bottom