Scale length - 21.4" big baritone -- which string set?

I like D'addario Pro Arte (normal tension) and Thomastik Classical N, which has flatwound bass strings. Also had positive experience with Savarez, Hannabach and Martin. I reckon you can't go wrong with any reputable strings. Just be careful of Savarez sets with wound treble strings.. they tend to unravel if you cut them for uke.

If I have spare G strings, I can get away with just ordering D'addario "half sets", which just gives you the 3 treble strings.

If you want re-entrant GCEA tuning, you can use the 1st string that you use for A in the G position. If you're lucky, the 1st string might be long enough to use for both the high-G and A strings on the uke.

In fact, that's exactly the set you get on D'addario Pro Arte ukulele set. The Concert ukulele set are the clear treble strings (1st, 3rd, 2nd, 1st) from the Normal tension guitar set, and the Tenor set is from the Hard tension guitar set.

I use the normal tension strings for tenors too as I dont like high tension

Last edited:
... ...Just be careful of Savarez sets with wound treble strings... ... I use the normal tension strings for tenors too as I dont like high tension
Savarez strings are a bit expensive, right? So what do they offer that D'Addario Pro Arte strings do not, I wonder? ... I had a tenor that I wanted to re-string a while back. It had high tension strings tuned GCEA. So I down-tuned it to F B Eb Ab to get an idea of what lower tension strings might do. I liked the sound a lot better. So I switched to lower tension strings. To my ears it does sound fuller and sweeter. It's still plenty loud but the sustain might be a hair less.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A quick but somewhat OT question:

I almost never play with groups so I'm wondering... which would *likely* be more advantageous: switching to lower tension strings or down-tuning 1/2 step or 1 step? Does anyone care to comment?

Has anyone heard of R.C.Strings? My luthier was wondering about them for a long scale 22.88" baritone. He went on String By Mail and ordered a variety of strings to see what fit best for the scale.

I took my new Jumbo bari back to the luthier for a few changes and to reshape the neck a bit. The tuners kept breaking strings due to the holes in the tuners not being polished (waverlys). The G string broke yesterday. About broke my heart as it was the last set of LHL-WB's I had. They're the same diameter as Dirks HML-WB so will use them for a tenor. If he doesn't find a better string set, I'll add a T-I CF27.

Top Bottom