Clearwater roundback concert ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Was keen to try this model as I adored the baritone version. Turns out this is just as good!

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/11/clearwater-ucw7rpu-roundback-concert.html

Thanks for another great review. amazing the quality to cost.
Also very interesting on the cost comparison to the ohana but also the flea. The made in US stuff will be likely more costly i imagine, but importer difference should be small so I hope we see some of these on the USA shores for such a great entry level price and quality.

I hope so and I think there has been a lot of interest from the USA. I can't think of a reason why they are NOT over there to be honest. Someone suggested that because they are an Ohana re-badge, that Ohana may have a restriction on them being sold there. But if that was the case, why have they not put a restriction on the UK - Ohana sell a lot of ukes over here too!

I've come close to buying one of these many times. In the end have opted to just bash my decent concert around but if I get a little Christmas spending money...

I hope so and I think there has been a lot of interest from the USA. I can't think of a reason why they are NOT over there to be honest. Someone suggested that because they are an Ohana re-badge, that Ohana may have a restriction on them being sold there. But if that was the case, why have they not put a restriction on the UK - Ohana sell a lot of ukes over here too!

Tricky question this ‘cause it’s a bit of a minefield, I don’t want any person or company to take offence, etc.

It might just be from your observations over time or it might be side by side comparisons or it might be statements from (other) respected individuals or perhaps it’s something else but how do you know that some Ohana and some Clearwater Ukes share a common build?

If Clearwater and Ohana are buying from the same production line then are there other resalers who also market those products too and I’d so who?

I can imagine that Ohana might get in some Ukes that they work on a raw material to improve and that Clearwater might not get the best Ukes off of the production line (still perfectly good Ukes though) and sell them directly on at a lower price for the customer to ‘tune-up’ or improve.

I’ve always hankered after an Ohana Vita, but I’d like to check one out in person rather than buy mail order. To my modest pocket they’re not inexpensive here in the U.K. and I’m unsure about how playable I’ll find the narrow spaced (?) strings. If the Clearwater version is identical then its relatively reduced cost appeals though the included electrics don’t - to me thier addition is a negative. So, what’s the deal with these two brands selling such similar goods?

Last edited:
It's an assumption based on photographs with the Concert, but a direct side by side comparison with the Baritone. The latter was identical save for the Ohana having what appeared to be a shinier back. The photos of the Ohana concert also have a shinier back - but otherwise the build, the top, the decor, the fingerboard (save for the different headstock logo) are identical. I am not entirely sure if the Ohanas have pickups myself. They really are the same thing though in virtually all aspects I can see. It's not just the concept of 'dropping a wood top on a plastic back' that is similar. The actual shapes of these, whilst at first glance are typically double bout ukulele shapes are also quite distinct if you look. The waists are not very narrow giving them an almost teardrop shape i've not seen on any others, and on the baritone in particular, the cutaway is very distinct to that 'model'.

As for others - there was a model knocking about in the UK by Kamoa - the KUC-70b (no longer available) - that is also completely identical to this one save for the headstock, but also has no pickup. Phil Doleman had one and I can confirm it's the same as this Clearwater. Again, note the distinctive shape of the waist (sorry, don't have a better picture)

0.jpg

As for whether these are B stock or not up to Ohana standard I can't see why they are - i've seen about 4 of these Clearwaters in person now, two of which I owned. All were flawless in every department - not a mark in the finish, not a single bubble in the gloss.

Other than that - I have no idea - but what is patently true is that there are far less production lines in China than there are brands!

Can't speak for how the Vita compares as i've not played either.

Incidentally - why is the inclusion of a passive pickup a negative? It doesn't weigh much, doesn't affect the tone and you can play the ukulele without ever touching it?

The price has gone up too!!

Incidentally - why is the inclusion of a passive pickup a negative? It doesn't weigh much, doesn't affect the tone and you can play the ukulele without ever touching it?

Thanks for the earlier response (#6). In answer to the above it’s just personal preference, as I said: “ If the Clearwater version is identical then its relatively reduced cost appeals though the included electrics don’t - to me their addition is a negative.” I don’t use amplification and can see no time when I ever will, to me the Jack point spoils the exterior lines of the Uke and the undersaddle pick up is just something else that could potentially give problems or reduce transmission into the sound board.

Each to their own - I dont' find it all that noticeable, but the jack is there, granted. But two things that this instrument is not lacking are volume and resonance!

Top Bottom