Season 354: THE SHOCK OF THE NEW(ish)

It just dawned on me how funny your moniker is. Well played. Anyway, wanted to say a quick thank you for enduring me this week. To say I was enthusiastic about your list of artists would be an understatement. Also, for living with the fact that I got the season wrong on quite a few songs...sigh.
Anyway, I saw this in a movie once. Guy and a gal in a mucsic store just playing around and while it was a fairly cheesy “musical theater-esque” moment...pretty sure the chemistry there was not acting. I watched that scene about a million times. I play it a little differently, but I assure you the dogs and I share the same chemistry.

Thanks for the season mate- cracking first outing.

It just dawned on me how funny your moniker is. Well played. Anyway, wanted to say a quick thank you for enduring me this week. To say I was enthusiastic about your list of artists would be an understatement. Also, for living with the fact that I got the season wrong on quite a few songs...sigh.
Anyway, I saw this in a movie once. Guy and a gal in a mucsic store just playing around and while it was a fairly cheesy “musical theater-esque” moment...pretty sure the chemistry there was not acting. I watched that scene about a million times. I play it a little differently, but I assure you the dogs and I share the same chemistry.

When my niece got married this spring, instead of the wedding march, they entered to an instrumental version of Falling Slowly.

I've been going through stretches this year where I've been listening to a lot of The Go! Team. Their song "Mayday" is probably my favorite song of this year. But trying to play that one was coming along too slowly, so here's a different song from their latest album called "The Answer's No - Now What's the Question?"

Ah cheers...can't take credit for the monikor. it's from English folk rocker Roy Harper's 1970 album "Flat Baroque and Beserk"..haha

I think that's it folks.
Thanks for the nice feedback as the week progressed.
A wrap will be done in the next day or two.
On to Val's ..the clock is ticking.

I think that's it folks.
Thanks for the nice feedback as the week progressed.
A wrap will be done in the next day or two.
On to Val's ..the clock is ticking.
You killed it this week mate- cracking first season, great them, and excellent interaction. Thanks for taking the time.

WRAP of 354.
Thanks all. If I miss mentioning anyone it’s unintentional. Apologies. Names used.. sometimes monikers sometimes real. In rough order of first video appearance.
Pabrizzer..hot off the press Paul Kelly’s and originals both poignant and darkly humourous.
Wee Rob – Eclectic excellence from the Scottish Finn. Particularly liked the jazzy Max R one.
Big King V. – Flagrant rule breaking with previous recorded mountain goat’s tune. But accepted because it was so good.
Jon – Always gives me something to marvel at. Originals and covers-outstanding. The only one to crack one of my quiz tunes.
York Steve – Two beaut tunes in his trademark smooth as velvet style.
Ryan – dazzled with an unpredicted Beyonce before moving on to more familiar ground. The trio with his two boys featured some serious lyric freestyling from his older mini -me.
Ukefoot – Playing and vocals .as good as it gets.
Wim – You too can play U2…but not as good as him.
Caz – Highlight was Sigur Ros in his native tongue. Verv very n-ICE.
TCK – Excelled with some kick-ass Americana. Dog was a harsh critic.
Rick – Bought home the bacon ..smothered in The Gravy Boys.. good find!
SparkyCola – Joanna Newsome cover. That was really a treat. Unusual chords, unusual lyrics – brilliant result.
Tomcat Wombat – The amorous marsupial produced the goods.
BEVOMU – Lynda delved into the current Top Forty and hit the jackpot with a couple of reworked wonders. Her ratty original gnawed at my funny bone.
Yukio – He’s Uniquio, A dynamo, a volcano about to blow.
Andy- Some ukified Metal covers that I really got into. Especially Severed Crossed Fingers.
The Martins – Sick kid in tow he did a wizard song which I bet worked wonders.
Del – A couple of new artists (to me) by the always tuneful Mr D. The one by Black was ace.
Alan – A brace of perfectly played and sung tunes. All I ever get for Christmas is Blue…showstopper.
Rustyy – Some no nonsense country / bluesy goodness.
Randy – the smiling strummer .He even found a song of his life’s zen-like philosophical goals “Netflix and Coffee”
Val – she never fails to entertain .A triptych screen of fun.
Kevin – stunningly good cover with an harmonious singing partner.. and Joo’s drawings as a delicious icing.
Gina – Some fancy new visuals to match a lovely cover of Budapest.
Linda (TurtleD.) – New song with a new tuning. Atmospheric, haunting – a treat.
Uke4ia – new artists are no challenge for this guy. Always pushing the new stuff boundary with classy vigor.
Trent – what a super cover of a wonderful Berni tune. Bearded ladies get it tough.Except in Eurovision.
Joko –Lady Gaga for Lady Nikki…he’s just a romantic at heart.
One Man and his uke – Covers and originals. Including a favorite I’ll mention later.
Lumpy Waffle – Hit the 21st century running with Valerie.
Ukecaster – Love his work. They have a holistic integrity that is special.
RB Uke Vids – One vid which I’ll mention later.
Patrick and Kevin Hearle – A radioactive Radiohead cover .It was infectious.Father and Son doing it fine.
Berni – A sharp, witty dissertation on art and its place in our lives.Brilliant.
Ylle – An intriguingly atmospheric instrumental from the Great North. Visually beautiful too.
Ralf – Another top shelf Joanna Newsome. Unexpected and greatly enjoyed.
Prizes
Was going to go random for prizes but changed my mind .The 2 winners didn’t necessarily make the biggest contribution but they each had a song that I thought…yep I’ll give ya something for that.
Original – “Ceci N’est pas Un Ukulele” by One man and his uke.
Loved this. Some gratuitous rhyming with ukulele. Cartoons. Quirky instrumentation. It was a little work of art worthy of Magritte’s pommy cousin
And Cover
“Moon” by Rb Uke Vids. – Don’t usually see complex fingerstyle pieces on the seasons.Here was one with some terrific vocals to complement. A fine job.
Not sure what the prize will be.Maybe a small bit of art by me.Or a book or Cd not by me.
Email your address to pooleyjp@bigpond.com
Thanks. Was fun.
John
Back to Val’s!

Thanks so much for a great Season, John (and for swapping with me!) It really took me out of my comfort zone, which is no bad thing. Hope you had fun hosting! Congrats to the very worthy winners!

thank you for a great season! and great hosting! congrats to the winners! i'm hoping to catch up on some viewing, i know there are absolute gems here i haven't had a chance to watch yet

Thanks John. I think the reason you don't see pieces like that very often is because a week is a very short time to learn them in. In our case, we had been working on that one all month, and it just happened to also fit the theme. Anyway, thanks again, and I'll email you my details.

As you can tell I had a great time this week. Always good when I have to decide which songs to leave out rather than struggle all week looking for something to play. Well hosted mate.

Sorry, I couldn't make it. But we did have Jake Bugg in our local last night.

Greetings,

Thanks for the week. Going to listen to a few vids now. Looks like fun!

Ciao

Great season, John - and thanks so much for the special dispensation on my third song! Congrats to the very worthy winners and well done everyone else - lots of great music again this week! :)

Great season John, and bang up job hosting. If it is labor at all it is one of love.

Out of curiosity, was the Tallest Man on Earth Song “King of Spain”? Had a go at it but there are some quick changes. Probably would work at a slower clip though. Too bad I never think of that in the moment.

Top Bottom