Season 354: THE SHOCK OF THE NEW(ish)

Here is a song from the Deftones album White Pony.
The album came out in June of 2000.
Here is my interpretation of the metal song Passenger
Enjoy (hopefully)

With the rise of hip-hop, some of which is very good but does not have a lot of musicality anymore (sigh...most dont even use records anymore), autotune and bro country, we were hard pressed to find a contemporary pop song (a constraint we put on ourselves) to play that said “instant classic” to us.
I asked a few of my fifth graders who had texted me holiday greetings and they came up with this. Enjoy.

John said he expected some White Stripes from me. A not unfair assumption, the problem is finding one I haven't done here yet.

This used to be a staple back when I was a very poor guitar player. The right amount of distortion on it made me sound like a god.

:rock:

Carly Ritter is the daughter of actor John Ritter, and therefore of course also the grand-daughter of singing cowboy/actor Tex Ritter. She released her first album in 2013, and this song was on it. I think this is an old country song that someone recorded way back when, but it wasn't a hit. I have not been able to track it down, however. Maybe Trent knows.

Good on ya all.Plenty coming in.I know the last 20 years is probably no one's favorite.But there's good stuff out there as you are proving.
Playlist is going.let me know if I miss anyone.
cheers
John.

From 2013. This isn't the Queen song, but instead one by The Gravy Boys, a fun local Americana band. They're older gents who still have day jobs, and write a lot of their own material. They also do hysterical bluegrass-y covers of "Suspicious Minds" and "Time of the Season." Here's one of their few ballads.

Frankly, you had me at "Joanna Newsom". I love her to bits. :)

Here's a cover of Goose Eggs from her latest album, Divers:

Sparky

I think like season 24 Melissa (The Cloverdale Wife) hosted because we had no one...and she opted for “Guilty Pleasures.” The Silly Dave (for the record I am the asinine Dave) played “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga and I just had to go watch the original. Dammit. HUGE fan.
I sing this stuff out loud in the car constantly...
Soooo.

Now to play some Gillian Welch and git serious.

Waiting on a Song - Dan Auerbach

This is from an album that was recorded in 2017, but a huge effort was made in the process to make sure it sounded like it was actually from the 70s. This song was actually co-written by John Prine, recorded on tape and played with a bunch of long-time Nashville session musicians.

I screwed around some with multitracking in GarageBand, but it doesn't really show much unless you've got headphones on. Trying to learn how to get the most out of that program is like learning to play a whole new instrument. Hopefully that turned out better than the video, which I failed to realize didn't include my uke in the shot :mad:

i checked out this week's UK chart - i'm no stranger to checking out the top 40, for season song ideas, but usually it's the top songs of ninteen seventy-something, not two thousand and something! at number 9 this week, is this rather lovely song, the internet tells me it was first released last year, but has really taken off this year after being featured in an eppy of "love island"

"lost without you" by freya ridings

What could be more shocking than to reproduce music that was popular from a bygone era.
I have been watching the series Babylon/Berlin (To ashes to dust Rave/Jazz scene in Berlin) and was
drawn to the top hat and tails performances of Max Raabe, who brings cabaret style crooning
from a bygone age into the modern era. One of the songs he does which was recorded in 2006 is Heartaches
So this is a blast from the past... music seems to have been more sophisticated then with delightful chord changes.
Max Raabe has also done songs like Super Trooper in his own inimitable big band style or Ms Spears Oops I did it again

Wearing a faultlessly fitting tuxedo, hair slicked back, a cheeky look, Max Raabe sings the best of the 20s
and early 30s, But in a modern setting.

Last edited:
SHOCK AND AWE

Hi guys! I’m home with a sick kid today, so I found some time to record a video. This one is by Harry and the Potters from their first album which came out in 2003. I hope everyone is doing well, and had a great Thanksgiving.

Day Three starting here.All splendid contributions.
Who'll be first with an original? My money is on one of the Antipodean maestros.

Happy to admit that my musical tastes are rooted firmly in the 1980s, but a few artists have really grabbed me more recently - David Gray, Keane, CeeLo Green, Years & Years have all found a regular place in my playlists over the last 18 years.

As has Dido - her first album, No Angel, exclusively occupied the CD player in my car for many months - but was released in 1999 so none of the wonderful songs from it qualify for this season. However, her second album, Life For Rent, was released in 2003 - and this song was the standout track:

Brett and Gretyl Lullen are a husband/wife duo who go by the name of Handsome & Gretyl. Brett is from Toronto, Gretyl from Seattle. They met when they were both going to college in Vancouver. They quit school, got married, moved to Nashville and began making music. They released their first album in 2011.

Brett plays guitar and some other instruments and sings backup. Gretyl writes the songs, sings lead and plays ukulele. They both whistle. Brett also has another band called Windwell, but I haven't looked into them yet.

Official video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuAVKrQOF6o

I usually like to look up the story about the songs I cover, as I'm sure many of you do. This week I looked up the story of "Let Her Go", and saw it was recorded in Sydney, with Australian musicians, including a name I slightly recognised, "Stu Larson". It took me a moment, and then I realised he had been playing at our local music festival at the weekend,...and I missed him. That was a bit of a blow, but I am happy to say this was counter-acted by our local choir, of which I am a member (hard to believe isn't it), sharing the main stage at the festival with Courtney Barnett (I know!).
We had a blast doing some backing vocals to a few songs for the world premier live performance of Gurrumul's Djarimirri (Child of the Rainbow) album with a 16 piece orchestra from the Australian National Academy of Music, and Courtney played guitar on one of the tracks we accompanied.

Top Bottom