Season 354: THE SHOCK OF THE NEW(ish)

This month, we have really been focusing on learning a song for something else, and by this week we were so close to getting it right that we didn't want to distract ourselves with the Seasons. Then we realised that it was released in 2012 so here it is.

Day six.
Lots of new stuff for me.Thank you all.
There is a Damien Rice song with a practical art instruction as the title......anyone up to it?

I didn't realise Ray LaMontagne was on your list until just checking. I am a big fan of most of your list. Those that i don't know are now on my list for investigation

Over the Rhine is a band formed by Karin Bergquist and her husband, Linford Detweiler, plus some other members. They started in 1989 and are still going strong. This song was first performed live in 2001 and not recorded for an album until 2006. Bergquist has written several Christmas songs. This is my favorite of hers.

Have we ever had any St. Vincent around here? I'd love to here any of her in some more capable hands. This one buries me every time I hear it. From her self-titled album released in 2014.

Here's a good acoustic version from earlier this year: https://youtu.be/vt5zhWuEWK8

Nice!
I was tempted to try some St. Vincent, but not quite sure how to pull it off.

I love her / them, as does my wife. So fresh and original.

We also love her uncle Tuck Andress and the music of Tuck and Patti.
If you have never heard of them, please check them out!

A request/plea to our excellent host - I’ve done my two songs and have another one, maybe two, up my sleeve. However, I’m not well acquainted with any of the artists on your list and don’t have much time to research their work. Also, throughout my time here I’ve only ever brought songs that I’ve had a real affinity for - including those seasonista originals I covered, I hasten to add. So is there any chance that the ‘3rd song’ rule might be relaxed for the weekend please? It’s your shout, John - happy to go with whatever decision you reach on this, mate. Cheers! :)

Oh dear! Jon brought a Leunig inspired song (it's gone now) and I love Leunig.
Here is one Leunig wrote to which I added a simple melody.
Please watch it HERE while you listen.

A request/plea to our excellent host - I’ve done my two songs and have another one, maybe two, up my sleeve. However, I’m not well acquainted with any of the artists on your list and don’t have much time to research their work. Also, throughout my time here I’ve only ever brought songs that I’ve had a real affinity for - including those seasonista originals I covered, I hasten to add. So is there any chance that the ‘3rd song’ rule might be relaxed for the weekend please? It’s your shout, John - happy to go with whatever decision you reach on this, mate. Cheers! :)
Mate.Go for it! Passion negates rules.....only for people named Del.

sorry brus. here it is.
was having second thoughts about posting it
for reasons understood only by this depraved mind.
an original song inspired by Michael Leunig's painting,
'Alive & Well'.

NEW MIRROR

I don't mind striking up poses for you
Sometimes I think it's the least I could do
And I try to hold still and smile
Long enough for it to be finished

Flex those muscles hold my stomach taut
God knows how you even know where to start
As I scoff down whiskey
While your paintbrush is poised in creation

And the numbness I try to enfold
Makes me believe in what I behold
When the inking is done
And the dots are all joined together

I feel better about myself it's true
In this new mirror a man made anew
Tomorrow's a new day
And I'll be a new creation

Contrast and Compare (a WeeOriginal)

Heard on the radio this morning that Christmas cards
should not have the baby Jesus on them, but have robins
and foxes instead. Christmas will disappear and we will have
holidays instead so as not to offend anyone.

If folks don't want the baby Jesus then nothing will prepare
them for the second coming of Christ. :)

Ok, I already have 2 songs in, so I'll go to the songwriter list. I always liked Damien Rice, and learned this one long ago on guitar, so I'll give it a shot on the uke. Oh, and Lisa Hannigan's lovely voice was also on the original, so I guess I have a 2-fer! Of course, my voice is way lower than Damien's, so here I'm tuning my tenor down to A, which sounds kinda baritone-like to me, but fun. It still amazes me, what can come out of only 4 chords. Of course, I flubbed the ending, but the rest seemed ok, so I left it.

In case you haven't heard the original, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ogVor9uZoo

Last edited:
Top Bottom