Season 354: THE SHOCK OF THE NEW(ish)

Heard on the radio this morning that Christmas cards
should not have the baby Jesus on them, but have robins
and foxes instead. Christmas will disappear and we will have
holidays instead so as not to offend anyone.

If folks don't want the baby Jesus then nothing will prepare
them for the second coming of Christ. :)

I’m not sure where theses stories come from Rob, they’re usually put about over on these shores by our wonderful newspapers, trying to stir things up between communities. There was that story a good while back about Birmingham County Council renaming Christmas as Winterval...so as not to offend non Christian communities allegedly. It turned out that yes, BCC was promoting a thing called Winterval to encompass a whole series of holiday events, including Christmas, absolutely nothing to do with trying not to offend. Utter garbage in other words. You get this nonsense coming out now and then.....Nativity plays are banned so as not to offend Muslims......well they obviously didn’t tell the parents of the Muslim kids at my daughter’s school where they participated fully in the Nativity play each year. Christian imagery on Christmas cards is safe...and long may it remain so :)

Anyway, talking of rubbish, Modern Art is isn’t it? ;)

Here's a Radiohead tune from 2003. The song is "Gagging Order," which I recorded with my son a few days ago.
I previously shared this video on UU's "Links and Videos" forum. So if also sharing this video here is against the rules, please let me know! Thanks.

Here is my contribution to the week. I misread the instructions at first and thought it was any song post 2000. So I was preparing a couple of mine that have never fit a theme. Then I saw that originals by seasonistas had to mention Modern Art. So that's what this brand new one, written for this season, does! ;)

Enjoy:

What can I say about Keane? Fabulous band - this song is from their first album, Hopes and Fears, released in 2004. It blew me away. I couldn’t stop listening to it back then - I still listen to it regularly now. They come from a place called Battle - about half an hour down the road from where I live now.
My special thanks to our wonderful host for granting me exemption from the ‘3rd Song Rule’ here! :)

Here's a Pearl Jam song from like 2001 or 2002. Eddie Vedder decided to rearrange it when he did his ukulele album and vastly improved it imo.

Only bit of uke music I actually know how to play.

I'm having a lot of fun this week in case you hadn't guessed John.

An original from your host

In her splendid isolation
She dreams of Edward Hopper
Shines a torch for a patron to walk
Down the aisle of a lover

15C or 15D to her
it does not matter
she needs no curator to her soul
To salve, cajole or flatter

Nighthawks, they’ve light enough.
Nighthawks

In the automat her clothes spin round
So many circus ponies
It only takes a New York minute
To wash away the phonies

Nighthawks

They pump her gas and tell her
“ma’am your heart need fixin’”
But there is no exit to that road
She finds beguiling or bewitching

Nighthawks

In her splendid isolation
She dreams of Edward Hopper

I am enjoying this week and the chance to trot out a few country(ish) songs. One from Justin Townes Earle

This is old a song about Jack the Dripper. I thought it could be included in the Modern Art theme.
The Chinese paintings feature Catch Bull at 4

Last one for this week... probably (rain is forecast for tomorrow, so maybe)

There’s a Fernand Leger exhibition on at the Tate Liverpool from now til March next year.....not sure when I will get along to it, but I WILL get along to it :)

Dave did this masterpiece earlier in the week and i promised to get the kids involved in a cover. Nathan has inherited his spontaneous streak from me it seems so this goes on a bit

Day 8.
Been a blast.Up to 90 vids. Would be nice to hit 100
.And remember I have given hints about 3 songs.Haven't seen any of them yet.They are pretty easy to play too.Pull your finger out Sherlock. Ok embellished clues.

Tallest Man on earth song ...Title is the alter ego of one of our Northern European posters........"The G....."
Gillian Welch song about a young lady who acquires a rural property....."B....T......bought the f...." is the first line.
Damien Rice song with a practical art instruction.."C ....me ..i..." and those dots don't represent the actual number of letters. (in case the more visually literal get a bit confused)

Top Bottom