Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: NUD: Ohana CK-450QEL

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Capital District, New York
    Posts
    3,875

    Default NUD: Ohana CK-450QEL

    Just got an Ohana CK450QEL, quilted eucalyptus concert size from Mim, with an L.R. Baggs Five.O pickup installed.

    Still acclimating - when it was delivered yesterday, high temp for the day was in the low teens...

    More photos as I get a chance.
    ohana Eucalyptus.jpg
    (Click on the photo for a larger image....)
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

    Am I done?

    ...Maybe?...

    My YouTube Channel

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    This is one that has intrigued me since I first saw it. I'll be really interested to hear your impressions of how the eucalyptus sounds. There is so much of it around here, but you never see instruments made out of it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Catskill Mountains, NY
    Posts
    7,852

    Default

    That's a beauty. I like seeing ukes that were designed with some imagination.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Capital District, New York
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    This is one that has intrigued me since I first saw it. I'll be really interested to hear your impressions of how the eucalyptus sounds. There is so much of it around here, but you never see instruments made out of it.
    I decided to give the uke a full 72 hours to acclimate, and just took it out and played for about 30 minutes. Mim left the original Aquila Strings on, and the effect of the whole is very warm and "full".

    It is easy to play, the notes sound clean, and holding it is quite easy. The lower bout has a "comfort edge"; not fully rounded, but when you let your arm rest there, you don't get the "Crease of Doom".

    I haven't had much opportunity to do any videos lately, but I'l try and do one this week. I'll also try and plug it in, to see how the L.R. Baggs Five.O uke pickup works...)

    This makes my 4th Ohana Uke, BTW; two Vita Ukes, the CK-65D, and now the CK450QEL. All are worth having.

    (One of the Vitas I won from Making Music magazine, and the Rosewood Vita was used, from a UU member, but setup by Mim. The two I bought new came from Mim.)

    -Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

    Am I done?

    ...Maybe?...

    My YouTube Channel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    9,372

    Default

    Congratulations on that pretty new baby!
    I strummed on one similar to it at TBUG, and it felt good, sounded great.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

    Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,328

    Default

    That’s gorgeous, Kurt! Mazel tov!
    The site truncates my signature so I can't tell you

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    I decided to give the uke a full 72 hours to acclimate, and just took it out and played for about 30 minutes. Mim left the original Aquila Strings on, and the effect of the whole is very warm and "full".

    It is easy to play, the notes sound clean, and holding it is quite easy. The lower bout has a "comfort edge"; not fully rounded, but when you let your arm rest there, you don't get the "Crease of Doom".

    I haven't had much opportunity to do any videos lately, but I'l try and do one this week. I'll also try and plug it in, to see how the L.R. Baggs Five.O uke pickup works...)

    This makes my 4th Ohana Uke, BTW; two Vita Ukes, the CK-65D, and now the CK450QEL. All are worth having.

    (One of the Vitas I won from Making Music magazine, and the Rosewood Vita was used, from a UU member, but setup by Mim. The two I bought new came from Mim.)

    -Kurt
    How do you like the Uke now that you have had it for a month? I love the look.
    Current Herd:

    Sopranos:
    Recent Martins: 3 Centennial, 5K, 3 Cherry and OXK
    Vintage Martin: 1950s #1
    Laughlin 3K, (1920 Martin 3K Bow Tie and Kite copy, 1 of 2) and Mahogany 3

    Concert:
    Laughlin 3K
    Kiwaya Mahogany Taropatch

    Tenor:
    Kiwaya KMT-K
    Romero Creations Replica, Mahogany
    Anuenue Moonbird

    Tiple:
    Yasuma (Martin T28 copy, Rosewood with Spruce top)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Sound samples?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Capital District, New York
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MopMan View Post
    Sound samples?
    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    How do you like the Uke now that you have had it for a month? I love the look.
    I haven't had a chance to do any sound samples - this past month has been Inventory Time at my wife's yarn shop, PLUS all the end of year stuff at school, AND trying to shop for new vehicles...

    My take on the uke is that I really like it a lot. I think I'd prefer Worth Brown strings, but it will be a little while before I have the chance to put a set on. The Aquilas are still fine, but I've gotten so used to fluorocarbon stings, they are a bit thick for me.

    As the the L.R. Baggs Five.O pickup.... I think the correct adjective is "Wow." Not to take anything away from the MiSi, which I also love, but the Baggs is phenomenal. Plugging in, through a DI Box then the mixer at an Open Mic, it sounded... I don't know, "even more natural and acoustic"? I just got a new UkeLeash from Lori to use on this instrument, so I hope to get back out and play in public again soon. Maybe I'll bring a recorder with me at one of the next local Uke Group meetings...

    -Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

    Am I done?

    ...Maybe?...

    My YouTube Channel

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3

    Default A Wonderful And Unique Concert

    I purchased a CK-450QEL from Uke Like The Pros in February 2021, and I love it. Not only is it really pretty (mine has a high amount of quilting in the tone-wood: front, back, and sides; it is even prettier than the one shown on the Ohana website), it also sounds absolutely wonderful. I swapped out the original-issue Aquila strings (and it sounded great with those, I debated even changing them) with Living Water clear fluorocarbon strings, and now it sounds almost angelic. Bright, clear, articulate, and with a sustain almost like using the right pedal of a piano. I definitely recommend it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •