Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pickup install endpin or not?

especially since you don't often play amplified you might decide, in the future, that you no longer want the pickup. In which case, it's easier to replace an endpin pickup with a standard endpin than it is to repair a hole drilled in the side of the lower bout.
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Musicguymic's Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Thank you everybody. Saved a bad mistake.

I play plugged in weekly using a MiSi end pin pick- up. I had one uke that the end pin loosened a little, but that was when I first got it. I think it needed to be tightened. I hand tightened it on the outside and never had another problem with it. Now I check the end pin on all my pick-ups when I plug in out of habit. No issues. I use a product called a Strap Keeper to secure my strap to the end pin. It locks it on so it ever slips off, but itís easy to take off when you want the strap off. Made by Tapastring.com
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    Thank you everybody. Saved a bad mistake.
    Ditto, thank you everybody for saving me from putting the jack in the side or lower bout. Having stepped on a cable more than once with my guitars I can see it really doing serious damage to a fragile beautiful ukulele. Thank You All!!

I play my tenors using a strap. I have had several endpin jacks come loose because of the strap moving around on the endpiece. In the groove. I then tried several solutions to allow the strap to rotate without loosening the jack. The best solution I have found is the Strap Keeper by Tapastring Guitar Care. Works great.

www.tapastring.com

Strap Keeper.jpg Baggs Locked.jpg
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I have fitted K&K passive PUs to several guitars, mandolins and banjos and always secure the end piece with a drop of the wife's nail varnish on the threads.

Vintage

I've owned a few instruments with the jack on the side and it was literally a pain in my leg. Centered in the end block is much more comfortable (besides being stronger).

Thread Information