Collings Tenor

aperlmutter

Reaction score
Would anyone here happen to own UT3 #996 or #1439 or #1574? Thanks!

I deleted my previous posts because you and I have discussed this in a previous post/PM. Good luck with your search.

When I see a post like this I immediately think of the effort mandolin collectors go to get hold of a Gibson F5 mandolin made in July(?) 1923. Can you tell us the significance of the serial numbers?

Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI has a Gibson Lloyd Loar “Master Model” F5 Mandolin, 1923. Sunburst, Serial number 72057, No Virzi, The center seam has opened on the tail block and there is a 1″ crack on the bass side of the neck block, With the original hardshell case, Very good. Item Code: 72057Z

$125,000 and it's yours.
davesguitar.com/products/gibson/lloyd-loar-f5-mandolin-1923/

They had one there about 6 mos ago they were asking $400k for it. I don't remember what make/model it was. I rmember the tech calling it the "Holy Grail" of mandolin instruments. I think they eventually referred it to a music store in Nashville.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post. Bill's comment reminded me of these instruments at the store. Back to the Collins...

That's an interesting comparison! These are all examples I've seen online that have really nice maple. I regret not having gotten one when they were still in production.

When I see a post like this I immediately think of the effort mandolin collectors go to get hold of a Gibson F5 mandolin made in July(?) 1923. Can you tell us the significance of the serial numbers?

Holy grail for sure!

Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI has a Gibson Lloyd Loar “Master Model” F5 Mandolin, 1923. Sunburst, Serial number 72057, No Virzi, The center seam has opened on the tail block and there is a 1″ crack on the bass side of the neck block, With the original hardshell case, Very good. Item Code: 72057Z

$125,000 and it's yours.
davesguitar.com/products/gibson/lloyd-loar-f5-mandolin-1923/

They had one there about 6 mos ago they were asking $400k for it. I don't remember what make/model it was. I rmember the tech calling it the "Holy Grail" of mandolin instruments. I think they eventually referred it to a music store in Nashville.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post. Bill's comment reminded me of these instruments at the store. Back to the Collins...

I know what that feels like. I'm so glad I got my UT2 with spruce top and western shaded sunburst, when I did. My favourite instrument.

All Collings ukes are fantastic, I managed to buy this year a UC1 new old stock, and that is also an amazing instrument. All the best in your search

Wow! The UT2 sounds stunning! Do you have pics? Yes, I agree that they're fantastic, have some nice ones myself and hope to add a birdseye maple UT3 to the collection.

I know what that feels like. I'm so glad I got my UT2 with spruce top and western shaded sunburst, when I did. My favourite instrument.

All Collings ukes are fantastic, I managed to buy this year a UC1 new old stock, and that is also an amazing instrument. All the best in your search

I agee. When I bought my UT1 in October of 2013, initially i thought afterwards that it was too much of a stretch for my budget (which it was), and I came close to returning it the next day for a refund. I’m glad I didn’t. It’s a great player that has paid for itself a thousand times over with good music, joy, fun and companionship. This little fellow along with its big brother, a Santa Cruz OM/PW, stays in the family and will be past down to my grand kids when I graduate to the Celestial Harp

Tom

That sounds like a great pair of instruments!

I agee. When I bought my UT1 in October of 2013, initially i thought afterwards that it was too much of a stretch for my budget (which it was), and I came close to returning it the next day for a refund. I’m glad I didn’t. It’s a great player that has paid for itself a thousand times over with good music, joy, fun and companionship. This little fellow along with its big brother, a Santa Cruz OM/PW, stays in the family and will be past down to my grand kids when I graduate to the Celestial Harp

Tom

Top Bottom