Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-owning a uke?

Default Co-owning a uke?

Have you ever done it, co-owned a uke with another uke player?

My uke pal and I are considering buying an 8 string. We both have good go to ukes for the bulk of our ukulele play and practice but we thought it would be fun to have a eight string for a bit of a change up for specific times and certain musical contexts.

Well, truth be known, it was her idea to consider an 8 string uke, either Oscar Schmidt or Ohana, but all the talk about this type of uke eventually got me interested and even excited about the possibilities of having an 8 stringer to play. So, half in jest, I suggested that we should co-own the uke.

It could stay at each of our homes on alternate weeks, LOL! And after all, we live within a block of each other’s home...heck, the uke could even just drop in for an afternoon if it wanted to play...
    Bruko Soprano Thinbody (maple)
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Lone Tree Soprano (hemlock, western maple, pacific yew)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Lone Tree Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

I guess you could say my wife and I sort of co-own a baritone, maybe .... because our daughter left it behind, after we bought her a Martin guitar. She likes her concert and I mostly play a tenor, so it works. Go ahead and try out the 8 string uke share and let us know if you remain friends.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
    ... Go ahead and try out the 8 string uke share and let us know if you remain friends.
    Ohhh, ouch, I think that if it turned into a tousle, a second 8 stringer could always be purchased ...
    Bruko Soprano Thinbody (maple)
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Lone Tree Soprano (hemlock, western maple, pacific yew)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Lone Tree Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

Several people in my group got a Baton Rouge T8 8-string tenor, delivered from Germany for $133. Very nice instrument.

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2017/01/...ing-tenor.html
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/baton_rouge_v2_t8_sun.htm

As for going in with someone on ownership, I would never do that. It would be a good way to end a friendship. I don't rent, and I don't share.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I don't know if that is a good idea. Lots of things can happen. What happens when one puts a scratch it? Who changes the strings when it needs it? Who decides when it needs a string change? What if one wants to install a pickup and the other doesn't, or a strap button? I just think that there is a lot more to it than who has custody and when. What happens when one is not taking as good care of it as the other thinks they should. My father-in-law owned a boat along with another fellow for years, and all he did was complain about the other guy leaving it sit outside all summer and the only week out of the whole year that he wanted to use it, the other guy wanted to use it too. They did stay friends though.
    Last edited by Rllink; 11-26-2018 at 03:23 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

When my brother Bob and I were teenagers in the early sixties, we chipped in and bought a 1958 Gibson J50. This worked fine when we lived at home and shared a room, but when we moved out to homes a couple of hours apart, Bob bought me out and he still owns the old Gibson.
    In the seventies, I lived in Baltimore, Ontario and my brother David lived in Montreal, a 4 or 5 hour drive away. Dave found a really good deal on a '72 Martin D-18 but he couldn't afford it, so he and I chipped in and bought it. Unfortunately, this meant that we each got to spend 6 months with a really nice Martin and the other six months with a Yamaha FG180. The Yamaha was a good guitar, but a big let down when you've been used to playing the Martin.
    When I found my D-21 about 40 years ago, Dave bought my half of the D-18.
    We lost Dave to cancer in 2011 and his son inherited the D-18. Three years ago he went on a six month backpacking trip through Europe and Asia and asked me if I'd babysit the D-18 for half a year. Being a good uncle, I said,"Sure." I still have it. When I see Steve at Christmas or Thanksgiving, I ask him if he wants it back, but he always says, "No, you keep it for a while."

I take really good care of stuff and get really bummed when somethin’ bad happens to it.

I don’t even like to share my stuff with my wife!
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE- Fingerstyle
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerstyle
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGDA (5ths) Fingerstyle

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift)
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift

Old age should rather be feared than death. - Juvenal
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Make a written agreement, and stick to it. Share and share alike. Then if you find you just need to each have one, get another!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I'd let her buy one, & you try it out when she has it, then if you like it, get your own - ukes can be rather personal - which strings are you going to put on it, etc.

Nice in theory, but doesn't often work out in practice, beware.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

The good part is that if you have a falling out, you can get 4 strings each!

Thread Information