Martin Style 51 Baritone versus Modern Luthier Built Baritone?

Philphlash

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a high end baritone uke. Could those who own or have played both a Martin baritone and a luthier built baritone comment as to sound, feel, and playability of each?
Much Thanks

well, "luthier built" is so broad as to be absolutely meaningless. They all will give a different sound and feel. Hopefully playability is not an issue with a reputable luthier, especially at the "high end" (and what exactly do you mean by that?) but there are many factors that come into play - neck width and shape, body size, fret height, action height, etc.

I've owned both. The Martin has a really nice neck. I sold it because I wanted something with a little more ummph in the sound. It was a very mellow instrument. I owned a Favillia at the time and preferred it for it's dark, smoke filled blues jpint sound. David Weber from North Vancouver, Canada made the best baritone I own.

If you're going with a luthier, make sure you know what you want. Type of neck style, C or D shaped profine. Action etc.

For my custom baritones and tenors, I go with Brian Griffin of Griffin Ukuleles. He makes an awesome Kasha Baritone for a 1,000 dollar. Incredible instruments. Check his blog on what he's building now. Stu Fuchs is raving about the Kasha tenor Brian just finished for him.
http://www.griffinukuleles.com

Top Bottom