Easy, uke-friendly full sheet (holiday) music books for piano/uke duets?

JonThysell

Reaction score
I bought my wife a piano for her birthday. She is relearning to play after almost a decade hiatus, and we're having some fun playing duets - her on the piano, me on a uke.

Unfortunately we're having a hard time finding good collections of easy, full piano sheet music with uke-friendly chords. I have lots of uke books, but they leave out the bass clef staves and often have tabs, both of which mess her up. Alternatively, her piano music often doesn't have chords, or they're just more guitar friendly than uke.

Of course we could do the work to figure out missing chords, simplify existing ones, or transpose to better keys, but it would be nice to have something we could just flip through and play.

Bonus if it's holiday music.

A quick solution is to find a song your wife has the piano music to, then go to Ultimate guitar.com and find the ukulele chords in the correct key. Ultimate Guitar has a function to change the key. Not perfect, but it might get you close enough to play together. It’s a place to start while you both progress in your musical journey.

I appreciate the responses, but it's not that I can't transpose to another key, use another tuning, use movable shapes, or use a capo - it's mostly about time management (or laziness if you prefer :)). I was just hoping somebody might have specific books /sites to recommend.

I have some great chord melody Christmas music arranged for the uke, at the level where I can sit down and mostly just play through the songs in a couple runs, but it's missing the bass clef for her. Same for non-Christmas music.

She has her full sheet music, and given a couple runs can sight read through it, but it's either missing the chords or it's jazzy enough that I'm going to have to simplify it for the uke to be able to play it, let alone keep up with some of the quick chord changes.

We're already making adjustments to the music we have (transposing into her singing range, simplifying chords) out of necessity, I just thought it wouldn't hurt to check if anyone here knows of some great existing material that meets us where we're at and thereby saves us some of the work.

Our school uses the piano book linked below. Not all of the songs have accompanying chords for you to play, but I flipped through it and 10-11 of the songs do. None of the chords are complicated and I think it would be easy to duet with. I actually found out about it doing a make up session with a piano student as a ukulele player lol. There are some sample pages at the bottom, and you can see that Joy to the World is one of those with the chords.

pianoadventures.com/publications/adult-piano-adventures-christmas-book-1/

pianoadventures.com/publications/adult-piano-adventures-christmas-book-1/

I'm a beginner piano student and will be playing two songs from that book, 'Away in a Manger' and 'It Came Upon the Midnight Clear' in my first Christmas recital this Sunday, 2-Dec-2018. I love the Faber Adult Piano Adventures books!

I've also worked up a nice finger-style/chord melody version of 'It Came Upon the Midnight Clear' on ukulele, based on the piano arrangement in the Faber book.

Actually, a songbook of piano & ukulele duets seems like a brilliant idea. I don't know why there aren't a bunch of them available.

Top Bottom