12 vs. 14 frets to the body in Tenor ukuleles

eyedoc

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone like one more than the other?
Any playing or sound difference?
Ron

I tend to prefer 12-fret, but have had wonderful ukes with 13-, 14- and even 15-fret joins.

The reason I tend to prefer 12-fret is because they often sound more full in tone (not that I could pick 12- vs. 14-fret in a blind sample) and (b) visually, they tend to put the bridge where it is more aesthetically balanced on the top. Often a 14-fret tenor looks out of balance to my eye.

12 fret necks is the traditional design that ukuleles were designed for way back when.

The main advantage of 12 fret necks is that it places the saddle right in the middle of the lower bout which many believe gives a fuller sound. the disadvantage is that its a little harder to play the upper frets.

14 fret necks give better upper fret access however the saddle position is moved away from the widest part of the lower bout.

What are you used to playing?
I had a custom ukulele built a few years ago and I had the choice to go 12 fret or 14 fret. While I was intrigued/interested in going for a 12 fret neck, in the end I went for the 14 fret neck because all my other ukuleles had 14 fret necks and going back from one to the other would make finding chords up the neck blind a bit harder than if all the ukuleles I play have 14 fret necks.

I prefer a 14 or 13 fret neck. I tend to shy away from 12 fret necks, longer necks feel better to me. However, it really depends on the instrument design. The bridge should be placed in the “sweet” spot. Jerry Hoffmann has a nice article about this and other string theory on his website. Seems to suggest brighter but slightly less volume if moved away from the “sweet” spot.

https://hoffmannlutherie.com/luthier/string_theory.pdf

While Jake prefers his Hive tenors be at 12 frets, I prefer the subtle more crisp sound of my Hive with 14 frets.

Last edited:
Rick Turner makes (made?) 14-fret "micro jumbo" tenor ukuleles with a bridge located in the sweet spot. Below is one in action. Love mine!

I tend to prefer 14 mainly because I play up the neck a lot. I like being about to play the G shape a full octave up the neck. The exception is my Kinnard baritone, which is 13 fret, but because it has a cutaway, I can still access the upper frets to make that G shape an octave above first position.

Top Bottom