Open Tunings

Sometimes I tune the A string down to a G and use a slide. I'm not very good at it, but that's the way it is done I guess. At least that is what they tell me.

I like open tunings. For one thing, they match the tunings on some of my banjos. Many of the chords are easier too.

I really wish that I could tune everything to 5ths. My concert Lanikai is tuned to 5ths. I was working on changing my other ukes, but I gave up on it.

Nothing is ever like ya want it ta be — ahh, well . . . :eek:ld:

I'm surprised he doesn't include open G - GBDG (C down to B, E down to D & A down to G)

I have my Fluke tuned GCCG (4th string low G). Intervals of 4ths/5ths give a "power" chord. These chords are ambiguous as they contain no 3rd so they are neither major or minor. They work well with modal melodies which are found in some traditional folk songs.

I'm surprised he doesn't include open G - GBDG (C down to B, E down to D & A down to G)

I have my Fluke tuned GCCG (4th string low G). Intervals of 4ths/5ths give a "power" chord. These chords are ambiguous as they contain no 3rd so they are neither major or minor. They work well with modal melodies which are found in some traditional folk songs.

Geoff, that very interesting. What are some of the traditional folk songs you find these tunings work well for? I would love to try them out.

Top Bottom