NBD: Ibanez mikro bass...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
I was wanting to experiment with the steel string sound, so a Black Friday deal came up and I ordered an Ibanez mikro bass, 26.4" scale, for a bargain. I had been looking for something with steel strings and actually would really like a Kala solid body, but for the price, I can't beat this thing. Just got it yesterday and still have to work on getting it setup properly and I ordered some D'addario black tape wound strings for it.
NBUD.jpg

I had considered, other than Kala solid, the Goldtone ME, violin basses (30") scale and a couple short scale Fenders, which also have 30" scale, I think, then I discovered the mikro.

Last edited:
Congrats! Too big fer me. :p

I think you may be mistaken about the scale. I bought one a few months ago, they're 28.6" as of the Ibanez web site and every site I checked at the time. That scale is also too big for me, so I had it converted to 24" scale by replacing the neck with a RondoMusic.com Hadean solid body neck and a new bridge. But the body is just a little too big too, so I've been much more careful when I look for another conversion to do.

Rondo Ibanez mini-miKro photo.jpg

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Last edited:
Congrats! Too big fer me. :p

It's a little unwieldy for sure, especially after playing ukulele and Ubass.:D But, it sounds pretty good, even with the stock strings and no setup, can't wait to get the new strings on and get it setup (it has lots of adjustments for the neck and bridge).

I'll still take my Ubass to jams, this is just for fun at home...for now anyway.

I've been looking at a lot more basses lately and I'm not entirely sure anymore the Mikro is too big. Wish it came in a fretless option.

Did you ever put the tapewounds on it?

I did put Daddario black nylon tapewounds on it ETB92S. Have since sold it, I got a SUB and put round wounds on it for a more electric bass sound, sort of, still pretty mellow. The mikro was too big for me, I like the 20" scale.
IMG_20190101_155329802.jpg IMG_20190101_155349956.jpg

what was your opinion of the tapes? If I do another bass, I'd be thinking about putting flats or tapes on a short scale, possibly 21 to 22" with anchors on the back like Mike has done. Those ETB92S are probably what I would want to try first.

I liked them, mellow sound, smooth feel, almost slick. Not sure how they would work on a 22" scale...

I liked them, mellow sound, smooth feel, almost slick. Not sure how they would work on a 22" scale...
The 30" tape wound I used on my 22" works perfectly fine with string-through holes I added.

LP Gotoh.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

See, that's what I'd want to pursue with the Fanner build if it happens. How's your Fanner discussion coming, Mike?
He said he would do a mockup on his computer last weekend, haven't heard back. I'll send an email later.

You're pretty krafty, Mike... Let's see a pic of the back...
Thanks Dan. I had originally used a plate on the back, but then found that the string through holes and ferules would work better.

LP bass strings back.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I was looking for a bass, and was interested in one of the new timber basses from magic fluke until I saw the price. Also saw a Rumbler w/ metal strings in my local MS , but for $300 was not impressed with the quality, as opposed to the tons of real basses 300 or less. I was only able to try out the Mikro, it was the only short scale they had. compared to the Kala, it looked like a much higher quality product. I ended up buying a transparent red open box one on MF at a discount off the street price of $180. Was also interested in the tapewounds, but am waiting to see if it's a keeper first. What are you guys using for a bag/case. Seems like any std electric guitar bag would work.

I have a custom made gig bag that will fit up a 36” bass. Also, the miKro I posted earlier that was converted, is now a parts bass for an Ibanez junior guitar being converted to a bass by Patt’s Guitar repair. The miKro body was too big for me.

Last edited:
I was looking for a bass, and was interested in one of the new timber basses from magic fluke until I saw the price. Also saw a Rumbler w/ metal strings in my local MS , but for $300 was not impressed with the quality, as opposed to the tons of real basses 300 or less. I was only able to try out the Mikro, it was the only short scale they had. compared to the Kala, it looked like a much higher quality product. I ended up buying a transparent red open box one on MF at a discount off the street price of $180. Was also interested in the tapewounds, but am waiting to see if it's a keeper first. What are you guys using for a bag/case. Seems like any std electric guitar bag would work.

MF carries a mikro bass specific gig bag. There's a big difference in scale and sound between a Rumbler and mikro, I've had both, quality isn't that much different.

I use an electric guitar gig bag for my Mikrobass and it fits fine. The Mikro is only about 3 inches or so longer than a lot of electric guitars. Ibanez does sell a Mikrobass gig bag, but it gets some pretty bad reviews online, for not having much padding.

Top Bottom