Campanella style anyone?

Wingnutz

Reaction score
If you don't know what this style is, you might have to google it.
There is an entire canon of 5-string banjo playing that employs this style (which banjo players call melodic) And then there are country guitar shredders like Albert Lee and Jerry Reed that is part of their signature sound.
On ukulele, John King immediately comes to mind:
https://youtu.be/ASGPPAK-p7w
This is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about.
I think he used re-entrant tuning exclusively, although I have had good success with low G also.
Interesting style, anyone into it?

I have tried it. Seems to me I found a free technique book. At this time I have to develop my skills more.

Jon’s how to play Campanella guide, or something like that.

Such great playing Laurence, I'm thinking Campanella might just be addictive! Thanks for posting :D

Thanks Campbell, and that waltz of yours was truly excellent. I always knew you were good, but I think it finally sunk in just how good a player you are!

Here's a little waltz I wrote a while back, it makes use of the Campanella technique :D
Played on a reentrant tuned baritone.

Oh, yessss. Absolutely beautifully played.

I'd love to get into campanella eventually, skill level needs to increase exponentially though.

M Ryan Taylor of UkulelePlay is advertising a book with 12 Christmas songs arranged for Campanella, with several parts. Notation and TAB.

I just bought one of his books thru Amazon. Very easy 2chord book. The book I bought has more than twelve pieces. I have fumbled my way thru two pieces, liking it very much. Wondering if this book is strictly Campanella since it seems that more than one note is played on a string.

Those of you who play Campanella, do you use your pinkie to play? One of the reasons I am fumbling, pinkie not working so well.

I just bought one of his books thru Amazon. Very easy 2chord book. The book I bought has more than twelve pieces. I have fumbled my way thru two pieces, liking it very much. Wondering if this book is strictly Campanella since it seems that more than one note is played on a string.

Those of you who play Campanella, do you use your pinkie to play? One of the reasons I am fumbling, pinkie not working so well.
Hi Cole,
If you’d like to send me one of the pieces you are having difficulty with, I will re-tab it and include the suggested fingerings for both hands :D

Last edited:

I do use my pinky quite a bit. You do find your left hand falling into some unusual shapes with this style. However, with persistence you can often find a workaround for any limitations you may have. I am having to workaround arthritis for instance.

Top Bottom