Making sense of strap button placements that impede playing up the neck

I like tying the strap off at the headstock myself, no extra button and drilling into the instrument, just a button on the bottom of the body.

I had considered having my local luthier remove the pin... but it hurts to have a nice useless gaping hole there on a brand new uke.

I was kinda miffed that they had these buttons on them, but didn't want to "have a nice useless gaping hole there" either, so I left them on.

A few years ago I had a strap button moved from position 1 to 4 and the luthier filled the hole with some binding material that made it look like the dot was part of the design.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Thanks kohanmike, that is actually a good idea and I'll have to check with my luthier if he'd do that.

I'm just miffed that this is brand new uke.
I sold 2 ukes and a guitar to afford it, and waited a long time for a setup and international shipping.
It finally came, and I am finding it blatantly unplayable, all because an email I sent specifically detailing strap button position was ignored until too late.

I'm still waiting back to hear what the store says.

Thanks kohanmike, that is actually a good idea and I'll have to check with my luthier if he'd do that.

I'm just miffed that this is brand new uke.
I sold 2 ukes and a guitar to afford it, and waited a long time for a setup and international shipping.
It finally came, and I am finding it blatantly unplayable, all because an email I sent specifically detailing strap button position was ignored until too late.

I'm still waiting back to hear what the store says.

Well, I don’t think it’s a big deal. A lot of people prefer to have the button there and they are not wrong. But you obviously think it’s a huge deal that the button is there. You also are not wrong. NUDs are supposed to be fun happy days. I feel that you’re not going to be satisfied, or content with leaving the button there or having it removed and filled. You’ll always look at it and have a bad feeling and that will prevent you from truly enjoying the instrument, so I would explore sending it back and getting a replacement. Just my $0.02.

Good luck!

Well, I don’t think it’s a big deal. A lot of people prefer to have the button there and they are not wrong. But you obviously think it’s a huge deal that the button is there. You also are not wrong. NUDs are supposed to be fun happy days. I feel that you’re not going to be satisfied, or content with leaving the button there or having it removed and filled. You’ll always look at it and have a bad feeling and that will prevent you from truly enjoying the instrument, so I would explore sending it back and getting a replacement. Just my $0.02.

Good luck!

Yeah, leave it on or take it off. Put a toothpick or a matchstick in the hole and get on with it or, better yet, get your money back.

It’s not a forest fire. You didn’t lose your home. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

I've been in communication with that online ukulele store.
They have been absolutely amazing and helpful.

They credited me back an amount we both deemed fair, and I will use some of it towards having my local luthier remove the strap button and fill the hole.
I'll probably have the strap button installed on no. 2 position

ts0055a.jpg

Thanks everyone!

I've been in communication with that online ukulele store.
They have been absolutely amazing and helpful.

They credited me back an amount we both deemed fair, and I will use some of it towards having my local luthier remove the strap button and fill the hole.
I'll probably have the strap button installed on no. 2 position

ts0055a.jpg
Things usually work out in the end. I'm glad that you are satisfied.

Top Bottom